The making of "It's a SpongeBob Christmas" stop-motion episode

19 Responses to “The making of "It's a SpongeBob Christmas" stop-motion episode”

1. EeyoreX says:

I know I’ve been away from the Sponge Bob show for quite a while, but… they have snow at the bottom of the ocean now?
    Clue me in, ye who have been watching: When the show runners finally dropped the premise of “it’s all underwater” did they phase it out sneaky like or did they make an event of it, some sort of big glorious “F*ck It-moment”?

• SpongeBob has always been a surreal show that bent the “rules” (starting with a talking sponge.)  There’s been fire, fast food chains and a land mammal in Bikini Bottom since the first season.  Also, the second season Christmas special had plenty of snow.  Ain’t changed much …

• BarBarSeven says:

Magic Xylophone.

• Gyrofrog says:

SpongeBob: I’d sure like to go to this party, but I can’t read the invitation!
      Patrick: Me neither.
      SpongeBob: Whoever sent this obviously has no idea about the physical limitations of life underwater! Well, might as well throw these in the fire.

• Yep, it was a big glorious “F*ck It-Moment”. But  just like I put in my comment below….i would like to see a “behind the scenes” part were the clay made objects were dipped in water…..just to inform or clarify to kids who will start thinking they could live on land that its IMPOSSIBLE and stop kids from taking fish out of fish tanks……but i think they are smart enough not to do that….but it could happen.

• Dlo Burns says:

Google ‘spongebob logic’

I dare ya

• TheOven says:

It’s all make believe friend.

• cdh1971 says:

That’s not the snow we’re used to. Every holiday season, the folks at Bikini Bottom mine and then shave undersea methane ice and arrange the light, fluffy shavings in a pleasing manner that imitates the look of snow.

After the holidays, they add it to their fuel reserve. How else do you think Krabby-Patties get grilled under water?
      *****          ************************     *******    *************************   ********    ************************    *********    *********
      Anyway (I enjoy SB) – methane ice is pretty interesting and there’s a lot of it in our ocean bottoms…..until it was discovered there, science thought it only existed naturally in the colder regions of our solar system. The Krabby-Patties cooking fuel idea isn’t mine – it was the speculation of a bright group of elementary school kids I was minding for the day a few years ago. Here’s a link to the executive summary on undersea methane ice:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_ice

2. bklynchris says:

Stop motion animation for Sponge Bob you say?  Blasphemy!  Nay, Sacrilege, I say!!! I mean, I think…..

3. Stefan Jones says:

I don’t dislike Spongebob . . . but a little bit goes a long way.

That said, I really liked this special! It was really eerie seeing the characters carefully rendered as models.

4. Gabriel Meister says:

Fans of this style of animation should check out John Clark Matthews’ stop-motion animations at http://johnclarkmatthews.com/movies.php, which include a couple of awesome Curious George shorts, Frog and Toad Are Friends, and many others that you hazily remember from the sunniest parts of your childhood.  Great stuff and my son loves them!

5. I will love watching this. Lots of Spongebob factoids on here lately, here’s one I was recently reminded of: the guy who plays Mr. Krabs was previously most well-known for being the fearsome Kurgan in Highlander. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Kurgan1.jpg

6. Is it me, or is Nickelodeons cartoon christmas lineup shorter?…..eeeeh…..well can’t complain, this was a good ep. to watch. Luckily they did not stick the clay in water…or should they have…..hmmmmmmmmmmm

7. You have the premiere date wrong – it’s actually Thursday 6th, 8pm

• Yep, air date is incorrect – originally it was scheduled for the 9th, now it’s airing on the 6th.  And don’t forget, there’s an album to go along with the special – as noted here on BoingBoing recently: