Building a full-scale Millennium Falcon
Nashville's Chris Lee wants to build a full-scale replica of the Millennium Falcon. He's rallied a group of Internet Star Wars megafan makers to help with the project; a college student has supplied a detailed 3D digital file; another contributor's building the laser-cannons, and still another's making the consoles. The whole thing is destined for Lee's 88-acre site, where he hopes to host school groups in a maker-camp that just happens to have a nearby spaceship where they can practice their welding.
How large is the Full Scale Falcon?
It will be somewhat larger than any of the movie sets:
* Length: 114 feet
* Beam (docking ring to docking ring): 81.485 feet
* Height to top of body (not counting quad-laser turret): 24.878 feet
* Height to top of dish: 30.889 feet
* Clearance: ground to landing gear bay level: 7.779 feet
* Clearance: ground to outside bottom of cockpit tube: 13.081 feet