Cool space-saving kid rooms

13 Responses to “Cool space-saving kid rooms”

1. sockdoll says:

I like how the space under the bed itself is completely enclosed, with a convenient door.

That is all.

2. pjcamp says:

They sure aren’t saving any space with that bookshelf.

• cdh1971 says:

I think I understand your point…but the bookshelf looks to be a good use of space and serves the equally (IMHO) important function of adding visual interest to the set-up.

3. JhmL says:

You can keep Harry Potter down there.

4. Steve Bosman says:

Some very nice designs, but I find the lack of adequate safety rails disturbing – I’m pretty sure they are a legal requirement in the UK.

• Hardley says:

My first thought was that I hope that the pole/newel post on the right side of the stairs is removable so when one’s child become impaled on it you can easily lift him/her off in order to take him/her to casualty/ER to have the pole extracted.
      At least the slipped-while-getting-undressed story would have a ring of innocence (pardon the pun).

5. SDurnin says:

Try keeping it clean.

6. Preston Sturges says:

That is very much something a design school student would come up with.

7. Jonathan Roberts says:

I don’t like the desk up there at all – it wouldn’t be too difficult for the chair to roll off, as there’s no real barrier. We have a bed that has a lot of the same features, but the desk is underneath the bed. It also has drawers for stairs, so it holds quite a lot of clothes and toys.

• Preston Sturges says:

Yep, there it is, child sized.   Make it a US “full size mattress” (54×75) to be bigger than prison cell furnishings but still portable.

8. SamSam says:

Anyone else notice that most of these rooms are still pretty darn big? Open floors, big tall ceilings. Any of these designers live in an actual city with expensive real estate? I’d love it if my kid’s room was that big…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

In SF, children’s bedrooms often come with shelves and a clothes rack already built in. Unfortunately no windows and they open off another bedroom.

9. Adam Klimko says:

Nice to look at, utterly ridiculous as a design solution for adults, much less children.  My son’s favorite toy is gravity – the chair would be immediately flung off its chair flinging platform until it was a handsome pile of  chrome and high-quality plastic.  Then he would delight in jumping on it from the jumping (nee flinging) platform, until he was a handsome (takes after dad) pile of flesh and viscera and chair parts. I wonder if the person who designed this has ever been in the same room with a child.