40th anniversary of the Blue Marble photo

11 Responses to “40th anniversary of the Blue Marble photo”

1. It just occurred to me, if this were shown today for the first time, that the first comments wherever it was posted would be about why it doesn’t have North America in-frame and how fucked up it is that other continents/countries/people exist.

Fuck, that’s depressing.

• Not to mention the hippie link because it was used as the cover for the whole earth catalog.  At least as a “work of the United States government, it isn’t subject to copyright.

2. Lots of nasty weather down south.

Also: new screen background. Thanks.

3. mccrum says:

Much applause ot Jack Schmitt for likely getting this shot and the entirety of Apollo for getting him there in the first place.

4. bklynchris says:

Anybody here old enough to remember that cool kid’s show with the very cool theme song that I can’t remember, “Big Blue Marble”? It had movies shorts about kids all over the world.  It was my first exposure to how kids lived in other parts of the world.  I wish I could get a copy of them for my kids (OK…me).

• Rich Keller says:

“The Earth’s a big blue marble when you see it from out there…” popped into my head automatically as soon as I saw this post’s title.

5. BonzoDog1 says:

I always preferred Earthrise from Apollo 8 on Christmas eve 1968, with the lunar terrain in the foreground. Got it hanging on my wall.

6. Sometimes I find this incredible.

7. Woody Smith says:

It’s officially credited to the whole crew by NASA, since all three crewmembers used the Hasselblad from time to time.  But when I met the Apollo 17 crew on their return, as a reporter, both Commander Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt told me they thought it was Schmitt who took it.  That’s good enough for me.  One of the rare subjects I do know Jack Schmitt about….

8. Sparg says:

I had a form of this picture that you tilted to make the clouds move.  I even punched a coupla holes in the side so I could put it in my Trapper Keeper.