Michael Moorcock's new New Worlds is go!

17 Responses to “Michael Moorcock's new New Worlds is go!”

1. I tried to register to read what Iain Banks had to say. Sigh.

• Jim Saul says:

Me too, since I’m on page 412 of The Hydrogen Sonata right now.

Still waiting for confirmation email.

Must register for any content access, with real-world street address as required fields?

Update – registration email came in… still must pay for content. D’oh!

• minh mcCloy says:

sighsigh sigh – still waiting – so annoying – Iain Banks

2. Tim in SF says:

It seems as if I am to pay £3 to read the article.

Is it worth it, Cory?

3. Ramone says:

I’m sorry, but unless I’m entering credit card information they have no business asking for my home address. Clearly, the site was set up by rank amateurs.

4. pjcamp says:

Grand? It’s a bunch of half-paragraphs with bullshit demands to purchase a paper rag. That’s so sad. Moorcock is living in the 70′s. He must have fish swimming through his platforms.

Registration was flagged by gmail as spam. That seems about right. Geez, Cory, if this were Apple you’d be apoplectic.

• Tynam says:

That’s because Apple has the know-how and resources to do it right.

Yes, my standards are different for small publishers, zines and fan stuff.  What of it?

• pjcamp says:

If it were an actual small publisher at a newsstand, I’d be able to leaf through it and see if I like it first. In any case, I regard paper zines as a waste of trees and might put down some money to look at something on line but won’t look at something that demands I buy paper.

• Dan Groom says:

Wait, so we’re being offered a legit 70′s sci-fi zine, with content from Banks,  for £3….

Sold!

5. s2redux says:

Have to admit, I was tempted to pay; gems like this head/subhead shouldn’t go unrewarded:
    Planet Illuminated with Four Moons Discovered
    Incredibly rare discovery made by volunteers of exoplanet over 5,000 lights away

But then I realized Moorcock’s revenue stream would be best handled by refugee subs from The Daily.

6. Gilbert Wham says:

What, exactly, is the point of a website that you have to pay toread the content of as an offline download ? And asking for names, addresses etc. just to be able to look at the site is abject lunacy. I want to like the idea that New Worlds is back, really I do, but the whole thing essentially amounts to no more than an extremely overwrought banner ad…

7. minh mcCloy says:

Well shall stop waiting for rego and start waiting for word that some sense & sensibility has been achieved

8. minh mcCloy says:

Found my rego in spam filter but shall wait – even if it is Iain Banks – have just reread two of the CUlture tomes so am temporarily sated.

9. tempo says:

Here’s what it says before you have to pay the 3 pounds to read the full article:
    “A Rand-t!
    By Iain Banks
    Lafayette Ron Hubbard and Ayn Rand; two figures from the nineteen-fifties who still loom large today.  One was a proficient if not particularly gifted Science Fiction writer who founded a bizarre cult which nowadays has many famous adherents and whose continuing influence, frankly, tests one’s faith in human nature, and the other invented Scientology.
    Read more”

10. vertigo25 says:

Cory logic: having to pay for content and paywalls are never ever ok. Unless it’s branded as appealing to ubergeeks.

11. TheOven says:

Nice article, but it completely fails to tell me what any of this that’s being brought back to life actually is.

Is New Worlds a MMPO game? is it a Magazine? Is it a website?
    Is it too much to stick to the basics when telling us something is back by informing us what it is in the first place?