14 Responses to “Environmental psychology: Can stores trick us into buying more crap with scents like cookie, orange?”

1. Paul Renault says:

Not only do you spend more at that store, prices are probably higher, because they have to spend money on orange-like-scent-spraying equipment.

Shop at your local co-op. It they start pulling the same crap, join the co-op and go to the meetings and tell ‘em to stop.

Edited to add: I wonder if streetwalkers read Salon…

2. Cat Chew says:

Uh-oh. I think I’ll stop daubing orange oil (and, just to be on the safe side, vanilla extract)  behind my ears. Didn’t know there could be such a big drawback to smelling yummy.

3. doniphon says:

I read/scanned the article.  I would respect the conclusions more if I saw the words “double blind” or even “blind.”

4. Matt Self says:

My house smells like dogs and chili and I buy stuff off of Amazon all the time, so I’m thinking it works.

5. Sirkowski says:

I always wonder in marketing and advertising, how much these tricks work. And much of it is just marketers and advertisers trying to justify their jobs. Probably a bit of both.

6. franko says:

i’m thinking the people at Cinnabon already knew this.

7. Saying stores are “tricking” us into buying crap is a bit strong, but then again, I wore cologne while courting my wife, and I’m sure at this point she’d agree with the characterization.

8. Bangorian says:

This seems like one of those crap studies where they failed to note that sample group one was shopping the week before Christmas or something like that.

9. DocPop says:

It’s worth mentioning that the stores being studied were Orange Juliuses. ;)

10. peedee says:

And it’s this kind of crap ad hominem ‘science’ that’s going to usher in the Carbon Caliphate Church:Market:State control over every human beings’ energy (therefore food) consumption.

11. pt68 says:

Xeni,
    Thanks for the story about selling, instead of a story used to sell, you know? you keep me coming back to BB . . .