I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

45 Responses to “Burrito Bomber: open source hardware-based drone autonomously delivers Mexican food”

1. kartwaffles says:

What fun! I approve of this sort of activity, especially as a way to point out the current red tape / gray area / mess concerning for-profit UAV ops.

2. Bersl says:

Better a drone delivering weapons of toilet destruction than weapons of people destruction.

3. Brainspore says:

I can’t wait that long. When will someone finally come up with a ballistic burrito delivery service?

4. wastrel says:

I prefer mine directly from El Farolito via the transcontinental pneumatic burrito tube. http://idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda-weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

That being said, this is awesome <3 many loves for Darwin Air.

• Lupus_Yonderboy says:

Aw, man.  I should have known someone would post this.  Sorry if my post above steals any of your well deserved thunder.

5. Dan Patey says:

Rising from the ashes of the Tacocopter: http://tacocopter.com/

6. Haz 0 says:

Gran video, pienso hacer uno para tostadas : Great video, going to have to make one for dropping tostadas (wrapped for eating, unwrapped for the slapstick)

7. waetherman says:

If I’d know that this was what they meant when they said “…the Air Force holds a bake sale to buy a bomber” I would have been supporting my schools a lot less and my military a lot more.

8. Will this also drop shoes on unsuspecting presidents / heads of state?

9. cjporkchop says:

If they tried this with falafel, they’d be put on a watch list.

10. Rotwang says:

It’s all fun and games until someone dies from a burrito-related coronary.

11. Ender Wiggin says:

umm…isn’t this old? i remember reading this story on wired and boing boing a few months ago…but i thought it was killed because of regulations against civilian UAV’s flying around cities?

12. Kelly M says:

They need to mount a 3D food printer on it.  We could then order and take delivery from an army of round-the-clock food service drones.

13. angusm says:

Does anyone know what the Circular Error Probable (CEP) of this delivery system is? In the best case, a burrito landing on someone else’s property is simply a loss for the intended recipient; in the worst case, it could be construed as an act of war.

14. jeligula says:

How fun.

15. Joshua Birch says:

Move over P.W. Singer, I’m creating the 21st Century Delicious Initiative

16. “Watching missiles fly down air vents, pretty unbelievable. But couldn’t we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? Know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, ‘There’s a guy that needs a banana!’ (missile sound). The Stealth Banana.” – Bill Hicks on the first Gulf War

17. Gilbert Wham says:

Wait, does this mean Teh Terr’ists have won or lost?

18. Donald Petersen says:

That’s it, I’m finally goin’ to law school.  I’ll work my way up through the Public Defender’s office, maybe spend a few years in the DA’s office, then eventually I’ll attain a judgeship, or whatever the hell they call it.  And every morning I’ll leap out of bed and eagerly iron my robe and powder my wig and dash off to the courthouse.

‘Cause finally, for the first time in my life, lawsuits and liability are starting to sound entertaining as hell.

19. Jesseham says:

It’s Kozmo.com 2.0!  This needs to happen!

20. wavehog says:

Great song. Who is that?

21. anansi133 says:

One kind of drone for locating people lost in the woods (or hiding from the law) and another kind of drone for dropping survival kit on them (or snot-gunning them)

I like to think drone technology will prove cheap enough that peaceful uses far outweigh the police state uses- but if they decide to commercially encrypt GPS signal – (meaning you pay for the codes to tell you where your plane is) - it’s all over.

• Donald Petersen says:

It occurs to me that there’s a glaring hole in my science fiction reading history that I didn’t imagine existed.  I don’t think I’ve ever read a story (or seen a movie) wherein cheap semiautonomous drones are used for mundane, everyday, morally-neutral (or even benevolent) purposes.  Drones usually end up wearing the same black hats (albeit somewhat larger ones) as nanobots in the corner of the canon with which I’m familiar.  Anyone got any recommendations with which I can patch this hole?

• freemoore says:

Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels have something kind of answering that description. I hope Charles Stross has a go sometime too…

• Here’s a reality patch: http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.au/

I’m not sure if it’s the same goal every year but at least this year’s challenge is dropping emergency package” for someone lost in a remote location.

Give this some more years and more readily available drone software and hardware we will be able to do search and rescue with swarms of cheap drones quickly covering large areas, taking hi-res pictures and then doing the search part by, say, crowd-sourced effort on the Internet.

22. nettdata says:

By “burrito” they mean “drugs”, right?

23. Kerouac says:

Use them to destroy whatever you want terrestrially… but I’m pretty sure the U.N. should step in and ban burritos on all space flights.

24. oasisob1 says:

I first read that it anonymously delivered Mexican food. I was only a little sad to learn that I had it wrong.

25. ChickieD says:

My husband must never ever know about this.

26. RandomJerk says:

This is going to kill all the terrestrial-based burrito delivery jobs.