It was only a matter of time but it sure took a lot of it, Discovery Channel and NHK captured footage of a giant squid! "Mankind finally confronts the greatest mystery of the deep as the first-ever footage of a live giant squid in its natural habitat is revealed in Discovery Channel’s Monster Squid: The Giant Is Real, which premieres on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 10/9c as the season finale of Curiosity. NHK will air their special on the first-ever footage of the giant squid in early January 2013"

17 Responses to “Giant squid finally caught on video”

1. orwell says:

geraldo rivera to host the episode…

2. LinkMan says:

Ever since I learned of the existence of colossal squid I’ve been far less impressed with their merely giant cousins.

3. Frederik says:

Expect a 2 hour long show containing 30 seconds of actual giant squid footage at the verry end wich they will keep teasing you with before each commercial break.

4. AnthonyC says:

We might have found it sooner if mankind was, you know, actually trying to explore the deep ocean in any real way.

• Christopher says:

In December 2009 there was a great amount of celebration of the fortieth anniversary of the moon landing, but I was the only person I knew who thought the fiftieth anniversary of Piccard’s and Walsh’s dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench in January 2010 was something to celebrate. And I was shocked that for decades the bathyscaphe used by Otis Barton and William Beebe sat rusting in a vacant lot on Coney Island.

I’m still not sure why there’s so much more money and glory attached to space exploration. Of course I get just as excited about space exploration as I do about oceanic exploration, but then that’s the point. I think they’re both equally exciting and equally deserving of our attention.

• Jack Lemon says:

Man has been astonished by the stars, not the ocean which seems backwards to me even though i enjoy all the unknowns of our time.

• derrick white says:

Visibility and implied power. The goals for space are a lot more visible. Everyone can see them, and the sheer numbers involved are inspiring. Space also has far more military applications, as it runs on the same technology as missiles, which opens up additional funding. During the space race, missions were a way to demonstrate your power in a non-threatening way. The public imagination was captured, science fiction started being set almost exclusively in space, and thats were we are.

5. Sekino says:

Wait, was the giant squid prospecting for gold, blowing up stuff, driving a very large vehicle or searching for bigfoot? He might be too mellow and well-groomed for Discovery Channel.

• GawainLavers says:

Is it an inbred redneck contractually obligated to hurt himself through his own stupidity?  Discovery may be straying from their apparent mandate.

6. ChickieD says:

I am super excited! Thanks for sharing this. I am a giant squid junkie. I even went to the LAME Smithsonian exhibit thinking there would be a giant squid on display but they did a bait and switch and it was just a really big squid. Kraken rock!

• Brainspore says:

So a bait-and-switch using actual bait?

7. piminnowcheez says:

The first video of a live giant squid was captured in 2005, and video of a giant squid “in its natural habitat” as is being promoted here followed a couple of years later, an event I could swear I first read about right on this here website.

Edit: okay, I pulled the trigger too fast. Internet says first still picture of g. squid in its natural habitat in 2004, first film in 2005/2006 (mixed reports), project to get video of architeuthis in natural habitat began 2010. Someone on the internet was wrong, and it was I.

8. agonist says:

I saw a NatGeo or Discovery show a few years ago that purported to have the first ever video of a giant squid. They teased it until the very end and then it was a tiny baby literally about the size of a quarter. It was the ultimate rip-off.