Third-Beat reports that Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart held a lengthy, public one-on-one to raise money for the Montclair Film Festival. Apparently they offered both shocking and very personal glimpses into their experience producing some of the best comedy around. "Colbert said that to him, 'the show' isn’t the performance in front of his audience. The 'show' is really what he does all day with his staff. 'There’s the joy in doing this hard thing,' he explained. 'That hard work together IS the show…. I then have the responsibility and pleasure of SHARING what that joy was [with the audience].'"

13 Responses to “Jon Stewart almost quit, “get me the fuck out of this. These people are insane.””

1. kringlebertfistyebuns says:

Sorry to be That Guy, but…it’s “Jon.”

2. Mark_Frauenfelder says:

Both times I was on Colbert, I witnessed the great relationship Colbert has with the crew and staff. He loves them and they love him. I was so happy to see this. Everyone was so nice to each other and, most importantly, to me.

3. I grew up on the street that the theater that hosted that conversation is on. Used to be an old-school movieplex. Had some pretty awesome teenage dates there.

Thanks for weirding my day, internet.

4. corydodt says:

“I wouldn’t have done [the bit] [ . . . ] Death for free speech is a deal-breaker.”

I didn’t know anything about the Yusuf Islam/Salman Rushdie/Jon Stewart triangle, but I am gratified to hear Jon Stewart saying the above. That phone call from Rushdie had to be hard, and I agree with him that Stewart shouldn’t have done that bit, especially not during the “Rally to Restore Sanity,” opposing the Tea Party. Keep all the asshole religious fundies on the side of their opposition.

At a certain point, you can’t separate the artist’s art from the artist’s beliefs.

5. franko says:

wow, the Colbert “sleepwalking” story is a corker. i can’t imagine.

6. Repurposed says:

I wonder if Colbert ever introduced Stewart to D&D…

7. SoItBegins says:

The site has gotten boing’d and is down due to bandwidth. The Google cache is here.