10 Responses to “Ravi Shankar, RIP: A performance on the Dick Cavett Show, and a reporter's recollections of a visit with Raviji”

1. franko says:

he was a giant, and his shadow is long. i’m listening to indian sitar all day in tribute.

2. djcarlito says:

how surreal and inspiring it must have been to visit him at his home..   glad you had the chance to sit and talk with him Xeni.. im sure it was a wonderful interview (i’d love to read it when you find it) and i’m sure he genuinely appreciated your sincerity, intelligence, and charm.

3. Deepak Soni says:

Very nice performance

4. Mighty Blowhole says:

And that’s the late, great Alla Rakha (Zakir Hussain’s father) on tabla… Great clip of the masters!

5. Steve Ardire says:

Ravi Shankar at 1967 Monterey Pop festival was perhaps his best performance

watch the entire 19:18 clip because its worth it !

6. Gourish Yaji says:

Pandit Ravishankar was a truly global ambassador, a great human being. The donations to bangladesh at war times shows his human side. He had connected east to west, tradition to modernity in the world. I’m really thankful for all the videos of Pandit Ravishankar. May his soul rest in peace

7. When I was a youngster I encountered the LP he made with Menuhin and wore it out. Stunning, moving, ineffable musicianship. I then saw him once, at Avery Fisher Hall back in the 80’s; only concert I’ve ever gone to alone, because I didn’t know anyone then who appreciated this kind of music. RS gave you more than an evening’s entertainment; he opened a window to the Formless, to the source of all music, all art, all love.

8. Woody Smith says:

I saw him once in the early 70s on Long Island. After his first number brought thunderous applause, he explained to us that in India people customarily clap DURING a piece as well, and the musicians find it very inspiring, so please don’t wait until the end to participate.  So all during the next piece, whenever he played something that really made me gasp, I clapped and hooted and whistled.  The whole audience glared at me…but he and Allah Rakha were electrified by the feedback, and proceeded to outdo themselves. I mean, they FLEW. When that raga was over, he thanked me, “…the one who listens so well,”and people stopped glaring at me and started emulating me.  It ended up being one of the best musical experiences of a long lifetime.  At the end of the night, they did a bit that they often used to close concerts, where Allah Rakha would play a short but complex rhythmic riff, and then Ravi would instantly copy it on sitar.  But THAT night, whatever Allah Rakha played, Ravi played it BACKWARDS.  Perfectly.  Even Allah Rakha was visibly stunned…and inspired. I’ve thought of that night often–the two friends grinning like thieves at one another, spraying sweat, and trying their futile best to trip each other up. RIP, Pandit Shankar.