Weird meteor shower to peak tomorrow night

10 Responses to “Weird meteor shower to peak tomorrow night”

1. Christopher says:

At least one mystery is solved: last night I saw a brief, orange streak across the sky almost directly overhead. I couldn’t remember off the top of my head what meteor shower was supposed to occur around this time of year. Now I know it was probably one of the Geminids. One might even say it was part of the advance guard.

2. My hypothesis has been that there was a collision between 3200 Phaethon and another orbiting piece of debris, perhaps a smaller asteroid, which littered the path with fragments. I have no conclusive evidence for it, though.

• niktemadur says:

My thoughts exactly, maybe a cluster of asteroids, small and/or medium-sized, traveling together, frequently grinding each other.

However, the rate of meteors doesn’t vary much from year to year, and one would imagine the “grinds” would be a bit more random than that.

3. Jorpho says:

“Generate a meteor shower with this one weird trick that astronomers hate!”

4. nmcvaugh says:

If you have a chance, definitely find someplace dark to watch this. Last night I saw more meteors in 20 minutes than I’ve seen in showers all year. Nice and bright, slow moving, and very large. Lots of smaller “flashy” ones that you only see with peripheral vision, but very impressive. Well worth your time if you’re out for a walk and not too near city lights. If you can’t find Gemini, just look for Orion and you’ll have the general area of the sky. Cheers!

5. Robbo says:

Remnants of Alderaan.

6. Just as long as this meteor shower doesn’t end up blinding us all.  That would suck when the Triffids attack.

7. brandon445 says:

I caught the Geminids last year and it was very memorable. For those interested, I found some great local viewing information at this site: http://www.spacedex.com/geminids – Enjoy!

8. Chris Daly says:

Every time I see Miles O’Brien I get slightly disappointed when I realize it’s not Colm Meaney

9. They have been a BLAST “TONIGHT” on the 6 meter (50Mhz) Ham Radio band.We talk off of the tails left behind for long distances.Sounds strange but it works! You can listen to some videos on YouTube from past showers & hear what I’m talking about. {:>)