BRING ME THE 3D PRINTED HEAD OF CORY DOCTOROW

18 Responses to “BRING ME THE 3D PRINTED HEAD OF CORY DOCTOROW”

1. Stooge says:

Do they all come out looking like a 1980s Steve Martin or is it just you?

2. franko says:

the lack of glasses completely threw me.

3. Øyvind says:

i have to say, i enjoyed the story just as much as the actual model.

4. Kevin Pierce says:

First impression: someone managed to get a hi-res image of near-Earth asteroid 2012 XE54

5. aperturehead says:

This 3-D stuff is very interesting and neat. In a way, it may satisfy the average human being’s urge to replicate oneself and therefore have a living image of oneself to admire and worship like an actual fetish object of one’s psyche.. The human ego is indeed a voracious beast. My personal dream would be to have infinite 3-D models of IN and Out burgers made, so I would never go hungrywhile driving home from work. Nice article, Cory!

6. Michael Polo says:

Cory how much would this cost to get done?

7. Boundegar says:

Horrifying.  This is how the villain makes his latex Cory Doctorow mask, to be peeled off after framing you for murder with a mwa-ha-ha.

8. If you get a life-size model 3d-printed, you’ll always have a place to store your glasses at night

9. Glippiglop says:

I’m looking forward to seeing how the 3D model looks with the bitmap images applied… soon please!

10. Matt Becker says:

Best BoingBoing title EVER.

11. tudza says:

“It looks just like you.”

“It will look better once it has some color.”

“No, I mean it looks just like you.  Right now.”

You seen the people in Japan making miniatures of people?  http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/3d-printing-photobooth/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29

12. pjcamp says:

Then why does it look like the 3-D printed head of Benito Mussolini wearing the lunar Appenines for a hat?

• ldobe says:

I think it looks a fair bit like Cory sans-glasses. If you think about it for a moment, glasses do modify the visage quite a lot.

Just look at Adam Savage. With glasses on he looks like a studious and perceptive mythbuster. Without glasses he looks like some kind of mackerel crossed with an ape.

Glasses are immediately added to the mental model when a first impression is made.

13. B Timothy Creel says:

Yay! I can finally edit Cory Doctorow in Blender.

14. Ian Wood says:

Eh. He’ll leave it on a plane and it’ll never be seen again.

15. hirumaui says:

I’d get that gash in your neck looked at if I were you.

16. Marc45 says:

This is pretty easy to do.  All you need is a Kinect from an XBOX 360 and some free software (look on Make type sites).  A swivel chair helps.