Milk, it does a body. In the 1970's some Princeton archaeologists dug up a few pots full of small, intentional holes. It took decades, and a lot of conjecture, but around 7,000 years ago people were making cheese. "For decades there was no way to prove his pots were ancient cheese strainers. Now new techniques have finally allowed researchers to analyze residue that had seeped into the clay. And they found that its chemical signature matched cow's milk." (via NPR)

11 Responses to “Archaeologists find ancient evidence of cheese”

1. Henry Pootel says:

Very soon I’m sure we’ll find the oldest evidence of cracking good toast.

2. awjt says:

Cup ‘o cheese!

3. Lobster says:

It took them years to differentiate it from the 7,001 year old milk.

4. CH says:

Here we go again. Archaeology seems to be about making up some good story about something that may or may not be an artifact, and then making up the evidence to support it.

One can clearly see that it wasn’t any artifact. It’s just a piece of the coating of a moon seed. Duh!

5. Boundegar says:

I don’t see why this is even surprising.  I would expect the discovery of cheese about one year after the first mammal is domesticated.  On the other hand, archaeology-level proof would be hard to provide, due to the relatively short shelf-life of the product.

6. philipb says:

Based on no science but my gut feeling I would presume that cheese paid a very important part in our early ancestor’s life. Light, nutritious and portable it would have allowed them to explore areas where a daily supply of game or edible plants may not have existed.

• ldobe says:

Your explanation seems quite plausible to me.

This seems to my cursory research (I lightly research a lot of things) like an almost inevitable accident. Some stone age guy leaves the milk out too long and notices some curdling. He drais the really stinky milk away and finds some stuff that doesn’t smell so bad. He gets some curious guy to eat it (or maybe he’s too hungry not to eat it) and finds it kinda tasty. So he starts refining the process.

7. dethbird says:

It turns out the cheese was American

8. Did they have wine as well?   Once they had that and cheese together, they would have invented the first party and laid the groundwork for true civilization.

9. Rich Keller says:

The archaeologists got the report back from the gas spectrum analysis and after examining the data that indicated the presence of traces of casein on the substrate of the potsherds, they exclaimed, “Cheese, will ya look at that!”