Read more in Music at Boing Boing

When she isn't nerding out that the holidays are coming, Jamie is a reader at Monday Night Fan Fiction at Fontana's in Chinatown, NYC (next date: TBA, 7:00 PM). All work is original, written by the readers, so if you have a brilliant fanfic idea stuck in your head, send it via Twitter: @jamielikesthis

35 Responses to “And here is a former Beatle jamming with most of Nirvana”

1. meatpigeon says:

Hey! Kurt Cobain would totally hate this!

2. ChickieD says:

Thanks for posting that. I didn’t get to see the concert and was wondering how that turned out. The Nirvana folks sound amazing together and Paul’s singing was ok – a little “Does Not Compute” feeling – but I feel like the music would be better with someone with a more raw voice. His guitar work was nice with them though. I’m wondering about the guitar he is playing. Anyone know anything about it?

3. thermidorthelobster says:

I do hope they played Hey Jude at the end, somewhat misjudging the mood.

• L8 says:

Actually, Paul ended playing “Live and let die” with a shit-ton of fireworks. After that, the last song was “Empire State of Mind” with Alicia Keys. So, yeah, Hey Jude was a nicer kind-of-anarchist idea.

4. tyger11 says:

Appropriate, since I’m of the mind that Helter Skelter was the first grunge song.

5. iamlegion says:

I didn’t get the chance to see it either, so thanks. I assume they didn’t play “Rape Me”?

6. xzzy says:

I hope Grohl never gets old because the day he’s unable to wail on the drums like they insulted him personally is going to be a really sad day for music.

The other surviving members, eh, could take ‘em or leave ‘em.

7. David Pescovitz says:

I think they sound fucking fantastic.

• Donald Petersen says:

Absodamnlutely.  That’s the best thing I’ve heard out of any of the four of them since shortly after I was born.  I wanna be Dave Grohl, man.

8. Andy says:

Paul is my least favorite Beatle and I was kinda expecting the worst from this, but I was impressed!! I would’ve thought Paul had completely forgotten what Helter Skelter sounded like, but it sounds like he’s still got that attitude in his back pocket. Nice work dudes.

9. Bruno Leonardo Neves Machado says:

Dave Grohl and Paul McCartney, least fave Beatle and least fave Nirvana.

10. mindysan33 says:

Not bad, they are certainly rocking it. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had mixed feelings.  But it’s for a good cause, so more power to them.

I always love to see Pat Smear out and about.  He always seems like he’s so happy to be there.  I remember when he first showed up playing with Nirvana… he was obviously ecstatic.  And I always preferred Grohl on the drums, personally.  I can take or leave Sir Paul.

Also, what is going on with Novoselic’s facial hair.  Can anyone tell me that?  It confuses me.

Now I want to see Nirvana unplugged in it’s entirety.  :-/

• xzzy says:

The DVD was released in 2007, so go buy it!

It includes the two songs that didn’t make it into the original MTV broadcast, so it’s a pretty good buy.

• mindysan33 says:

I might have to add that to my X-mas list.  I don’t know why I don’t have, actually.  It’s just such a high point for the unplugged series.  That and the Cure one with them playing toy instruments… The 10,000 Maniacs one was good too.

• Dlo Burns says:

I’m sure he had a handlebar stashe, then let the rest of his beard grow in, then combed it together.

11. vonbobo says:

Felt like watching those crappy super bowl half time shows.

12. MrJM says:

Whatever gets Grohl back behind the drum kit where he belongs.

13. nate says:

Not too shabby for an old fart. Kinda Helter Skelter-ish, which was a nice flashback to have with my morning coffee.

14. Larry OBrien says:

This is freaking amazing.  That my friends is a Matty Baratto Cigar Box Guitar.  You can see pics here:

Pretty sweet guitar, his grittier vocal sound now that he is older suits the song really well.  I love this.

15. arikol says:

Obviously, the main risk was that the world would implode from the sheer epicness, thus confirming all the 2012 doomsayers..

16. Joel Emmett says:

And the degrees of separation between The Beatles and The Germs reaches zero.

Maybe Darby should have stuck around a while longer.

17. Art says:

Damn fine!  :)

18. It’s been hilarious to see how picky Nirvana “purists” have been about this. Cobain was a Beatles fan. Without them (The Beatles), there may not have ever been a Nirvana.

• Donald Petersen says:

I’ll admit, I’ve never liked any of McCartney’s solo work.  When I heard this was happening, I couldn’t have cared less.

But then that guy showed up, the crazy old Brit with the weird-ass cigarbox dobro.  I’d happily jam with that McCartney all day long.  Who knew the guy could rock?

(Yeah, I know, you did.  But I sure as hell didn’t.)

19. Stephan says:

Should have played ‘Territorial Pissings’ instead.

20. noah django says:

>It was just as excellent as you’d hope it would be

hey jamie:

don’t speak for me and my hopes, a’ight young’n?

21. Damian Barajas says:

I liked the song, they definitely rocked, but I was really hoping we would hear a Nirvana song with McCartney singing :(
    I mean, there isn´t going to be a Nirvana reunion ever, not with Kurt gone. Realistically, Kurt could have done a Nirvana reunion tour without Dave or Krist but not the other way around.

But if there was going to be a Nirvana reunion, a charity concert like this is a good place to do it, because, they are not doing it just to cash in, they’re not going on tour with this.

So if you had to choose, who would you choose instead of McCartney?

I’m sticking with Paul, he rocked!