Green women, fat livers, and the cultural side of disease

19 Responses to “Green women, fat livers, and the cultural side of disease”

1. ntsteflonnts says:

Typo in third sentence.  ;-)  (“It turned their skin turn green”)

2. xzzy says:

Seeking grant money to research “chronic aging syndrome”.

• Preston Sturges says:

I actually read a paper where they said  “The only variable positively correlated with mortality was age,” and I was like really, you went to med school for that?

• CH says:

Well… there is the “only” part there, that makes it interesting.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

There is a significant (and sometimes very problematic) bias against negative results; but excluding variables is a pretty important business…

“The only variable positively correlated with mortality was age” sounds dull, since we all know that being old isn’t the most brilliant health choice in the book; but it constitutes information about all the other variables that were examined for correlation with mortality.

3. GawainLavers says:

I Am Not a Medical Researcher, but I think there is some meaningful discussion about the type of fat that tends to accumulate around organs, and that it is A) different to normal (i.e. belly, elbow) fat and B) a better predictor of these ailment than other types of fat.

4. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

There are certainly much better recommendations for dealing with anemia, but I’d be totally unsurprised (given the effects on menstrual blood, and thus iron, loss rates of pregnancy and breastfeeding, along with the absence of confounding factors like widespread hormonal contraceptive use and diets that aren’t horribly iron deficient) if the characterization of those at risk of ‘chlorosis’, as well as the proposed ‘cure’ turned out to have achieved some degree of accuracy by accident…

5. mocon says:

“The diagnosed cause: Excessive virginity. ”

I had that in high school.

I got better.

6. Casey Kerr says:

There are a few typos, please proof read.

7. edgore says:

Gosh, that’s too bad. I was about to patent my cure for excessive virginity.

8. planettom says:

The problem is, once you’re green, the only ones lining up to cure you of your excessive virginity are Trek and She-Hulk fans!

• niktemadur says:

Orion slave girls suffer from excessive virginity?  Now the list of things I’ve heard contains everything!

• BillStewart2012 says:

Hey, it isn’t easy being green.

And at least the greenness goes away with improved nutrition, as opposed to that guy who turned blue because of taking silver-based quack cures, which could leave him with a pretty long-term excessive virginity problem.

9. OgilvyTheAstronomer says:

Curiously, my fatty liver was diagnosed and then undiagnosed a few years later with no significant changes to my weight or lifestyle.