From the Kansas Memory project, a collection of childrearing public information posters issued by the Kansas State Board of Health from 1900 to 1920. I like this advice for how to give your kid fresh air: Don't put him in a wheelbarrow, you dope! Build him a cage!

Baby will be well and happy (via Retronaut) Discuss

45 Responses to “Childrearing advice from the Kansas State Board of Health, 1900-1920”

1. Fair enough. People put their kids in play pens outside these days.

2. foobar says:

Just use the chicken coop. It’ll be fine.

• Chuck says:

Or a rabbit hutch.  And fit it in next to the ones for the critters.  The kids can familiarize themselves with the livestock.

•  I am quite sure nursing though turkey wire was science’s way of subtly charring the state administration’s advice before presenting it to farmers. Birds have shoddy IgE policy and it shows.

3. Scotty A says:

Hang on a sec… as ‘sential as proper food? I knew we was fergettin’ sumthin, maw!

4. Brainspore says:

Buncha spoiled brats if you ask me. My kids have to make do with a play-pit.

5. hehe, its funny because they forgot the barbed wire, right?

6. Preston Sturges says:

I actually had one of those as a child. but they got rid of it when I figured out how to open the lid (Wham! in the middle of the night).  I saw one recently at a vacation cabin, so the baby would not get bitten bugs or wander off into the woods.

That little cart – it is maybe a “goat cart?”

In the movie “Lincoln” there is a scene where his younger son is being pulled through the halls of the White House in a goat cart.

• ChickieD says:

I live near to a carriage museum. There’s a whole section there on little carts and wagons intended for children to hook up to goats, dogs, or other small animals. I gathered that they were mostly a play item, sort of like how nowadays people buy their kids those little battery powered cars.

7. jimh says:

Neither looks wolf-proof.

8. Thomas Shellock says:

Mothers don’t let your babies grow up to be outlaws.

9. millie fink says:

Even more alarming was the window cage, for tenement dwellers too many floors up for a proper stroll –

10. chgoliz says:

The urban version: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/10/old-weird-tech-baby-cage-edition/63819/

11. spejic says:

It’s not putting the baby in a cage. It’s putting the entire world in a cage with the borders in close proximity to the baby.

12. Raven Mueller says:

My grandmother had one of these for my dad. She called it the “lobster trap” and it doubled as a car seat (well, a car cage).

13. There are a few design flaws with the baby cage but most grievous: one can still hear the child.

14. Purple-Stater says:

It’s not a wheelbarrow, it’s simply a more primitive stroller.  Nothing wrong with the cages either; they provide both fresh air and safety, plus exposure to actual dirt, which is very important for a toddler’s developing immune system.

• jimh says:

If you put in a “mother” made of wood and wire though, they grow up neurotic. Stick to soft surrogates.

• Purple-Stater says:

Keep in mind the time period.  This would have been a healthy and safe place to put the child while the parents did housework, yardwork and gardening. Even toddlers need some alone time.

15. pjcamp says:

Throw in a few cedar chips and a bottle of Jack and it’s probably quite functional.

16. Stefan Jones says:

Upscale homes built in the 20s and perhaps the 30s had an adult version of this: Sleeping porches. Upstairs balconies off of the bedroom, where folks would sleep on cots in the fresh night air.

I suppose that in a time where gas lights and coal stoves were still common, indoor air could get pretty unhealthy.

• Dlo Burns says:

Yet it was also the age of leaded gas.

• chgoliz says:

That had more to do with the lack of air conditioning.

People in major cities would sleep on the fire escapes or in the public parks whenever the heat got oppressive.

• ChickieD says:

I read the book that is mentioned in this article: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129127924 and one of the fascinating things about it is how many people died during this heat wave because they rolled off of roofs they were sleeping on.

• Preston Sturges says:

Often a glassed in room above a car port and kitchen door, with the driveway continuing to a detached garage/carriage house/servants quarters at the rear of the property.

17. boloid97 says:

My father in law grew up on a cotton farm in North Carolina and had a cage like this when he was a baby.  I guess the parents put him there while they plowed the fields.

18. Øyvind says:

Hey, I spent parts of the 70s in a pen made from chicken wire, nothing wrong with that. It saved me from running into the road (at least until i found out how to escape).

19. Roman Sandstorm says:

Am I the only person here who thinks this poster, and the others at the source site, are actually really sensible and pertinent advice, applicable just as much in 2013 as in 1913?

I particularly like the view of the ‘independence’ and ‘individuality’ of the baby that the Kansas board suggests: baby should sleep alone (not with parents), should have its own alone time, not be ‘shown off’, or made to perform for audiences, should not be overly handled just because it cries, etc.

And the health suggestions, re eyes, food, fresh air, bathing, preventing sickness, and so on are likewise sound and sensible.

• Purple-Stater says:

You, my friend, are not alone.  :-)

• DisGuest says:

Plus, this generation actually survived in order that we should exist today.

• millie fink says:

What’s wrong with having a baby sleep with its parents? Especially if all two or three want that?

• ChickieD says:

I agree. A real cool book I read is Orphan Trains: http://www.amazon.com/The-Orphan-Trains-Placing-America/dp/0803272650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355936246&sr=8-1&keywords=orphan+train It’s about the beginning of the adoption movement. So fascinating for it’s perspective on how child rearing has changed. Did you know that the kids that were most desired for adoption were teenage boys. Yes, because a teenage boy could actually help on the farm, whereas a baby, not so much. Yep, a cage for your toddler seems pretty progressive for the times.

20. hhype says:

If the cages are strong enough to prevent golden eagle attacks then I am all for them.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q904gtMI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

edit: Never mind http://gawker.com/5969701/all-the-reasons-that-baby+snatching-eagle-video-is-fake

21. katkins says:

Needs big wheels.  Roll around garden.  Free manure.  See: Truck, Chicken.

22. gila says:

I think it works pretty well out-of-context: