Cigarette company endorses apples

21 Responses to “Cigarette company endorses apples”

1. Dan Hibiki says:

mmm… sounds yummy. Tried it with Hookah before and it gives it a nice flavor. Wonder if it’s the same with cigarets.

2. MrJM says:

Cheese, __________, Cigarettes.

Profit?

3. Michael Wiik says:

Why is it all the foods in these old ads look disgusting?

• peregrinus says:

Because all good smokers know that you can’t taste anything anyway.

Food is revolting, but ciggies are ‘toasted’ – mmmmm!  Can I take a break from table, ma?

4. John Fleming says:

Luckies are all right, but more doctors smoke Camels!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

5. Wreckrob8 says:

The more cancer fighting apples you eat the more safely you can smoke your Lucky Strikes.
    And I know people who think like that. Any one positive, beneficial thing counters any one other negative, destructive thing.

6. Lobster says:

Their use of the word “use” troubles me.  How does one use a baked apple, if not to eat it?  If that’s what they mean, why don’t they just say, “eat baked apples?”

7. mccrum says:

Obviously the apple industry then sponsored a series of “Do you want a cigarette with your daily apple?” ads as form of compensation. It’s only fair.

8. dagfooyo says:

This is actually in a deleted scene from the first episode of Mad Men:
    Don Draper: This is the greatest advertisting opportunity since the invention of cereal. We have six identical companies making six identical apples. We can say anything we want. How do you prepare your apples?
    Lee Garner, Jr.: I don’t know.
    Lee Garner, Sr.: Shame on you. We eat them raw, cut them up, make pies, bake them…
    Don Draper: There you go. There you go.
    [Writes on chalkboard and underlines: "Use plenty of BAKED APPLES"]

9. grumble-bum says:

Donuts! Cigarettes! …Apples?

To be fair, as far as smokes are concerned, Lucky Strikes ARE fucking delicious.

• peregrinus says:

Yeah, but that’s like distinguishing between licking an ostrich’s arse and an emu’s arse

• s2redux says:

Never been able to get fresh Luckies up north. While the “It’s toasted” tag has a certain appeal, my choice is Pall Mall straights — feeds my habit, pays homage to Vonnegut, and supports the space program (per aspera ad astra).

10. cjporkchop says:

“It’s improved 100 percent over the raw apple”

I’m guessing they had shitty fresh apples back then.

11. Jardine says:

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away…because apples give me gas” – Howie Mandel

12. Brainspore says:

I never realized the “apple a day” thing worked with Oncologists.

13. Stefan Jones says:

That’s actually not an apple. It’s the lower lobe of a smoker’s lung, coughed up into a bowl after taking one drag too many.

14. niktemadur says:

“It’s toasted”

Oh… I get it.

15. Thomas Shellock says:

A slice of apple placed amongst ones tobacco wiil humidify and add flavor.There are those for whom substances such as tobacco and alcohol are valuable sources of nonpharmacutical self medication,improving their quality of life.Death is inevitable.

16. peregrinus says:

Late in the day, and I don’t know if seeing this kicked Cory’s post off, but check out this current (in London, UK – subway and magazines) campaign by Glenfiddich whisky:

The apple image is identical!