Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

48 Responses to “Times Square: anti-Islamic pastor Terry Jones muted by crowd of people singing "All You Need is Love"”

1. Brainspore says:

I’m not sure I get the “keep back 200 feet” line on the back of his shirt. Is it a bomb threat? A bullshit legal warning to keep counter-protesters away? An admission of personal hygiene as vile as his public discourse?

2. seyo says:

Shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels.

3. Christopher says:

Hey, I love Terry Jones. The Life Of Brian is one of my favorite movies, and I think he’s hosted some really wonderful documentaries about the Crusades and the Romans and…oh, wait…it’s not that Terry Jones…

4. “Everything I need to know about Islam I learned on 9/11″.

Let’s be fair here…

“Everything I need to know about [Pick an organised religion] I learned on [Pick an atrocity]“

• Brainspore says:

Heck, why even limit it to organized religions? It’s a handy formula for avoiding critical thinking for all kinds of topics!

• jimh says:

How about:
      Everything I need to know about the Mayan calendar I’ll learn on December 21st, 2012!

• Marc Mielke says:

Everything I need to know about The Chantry I learned on the day they cast The Rite of Annulment.

• blendergasket says:

Totally. I prefer the dewy innocence of Stalinism to the hell religions impose on those they come into contact with.

• I had more choices than that at the character creation screen.

• blendergasket says:

Maybe I was being a little straw mannish but I’ve just seen so many people arguing lately to the tune of “if we could just get rid of religion we’ll be free of bigoted genocidal systems of thought control” and (not saying you here) so often the argument goes as far as sympathizing with some sort of justification for the forcible eradication of religion, demonization of people with non-biomaterialist/scientistic belief systems. It just seems to me like once we choose an enemy to declare war with we become the same evil we war against.

I like the way you put that BTW.

• I totally understand why someone might believe in a higher power. Cults aren’t are a positive way to reinforce that belief.

But no, for what it’s worth I’m mostly happy for people to do as they please assuming it doesn’t harm others – every religion, like almost every group of people will have some good eggs, and some rotten ones.

It’s people that suck.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

A little? Why so modest?

• Raum187 says:

Everything I need to know about an [organised religion] I learned by reading their [holy texts].

More terrifying than the subsequent interpretations of groups or individuals; it’s the basis.

5. dantobias says:

I could do without all the sorts of organized religion myself.

6. Cowicide says:

I love New York.  Especially the “dat nut” brother at 1:30.

7. Perhaps that is what the counter-protestors could do to Phelps et al. There are a number of requiems that are quite beautiful, and can be sung by a large group (with their backs to the Phelpians). Perhaps “all you need is love” was a good pick (whether or not it happened)– we should go all yellow submarine and fight hate with music.

8. Peter Shultz says:

I know its minor, but Boingboing would be improved by the use of traditional quote marks.

9. DrLearnALot says:

Pure awesomeness on the part of the peopleness.

10. Lemoutan says:

I do wish they hadn’t “improved” it by fading into the commercial recording though. Kinda undermined it.

11. Manel says:

I really want to marry the “All You Need Is Love” singer dude.  Swoon.  What a badass.

12. Khal Shariff says:

Well thanks for that, whoever started singing, You made my day, probably my decade. Peace.

13. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

No what he said is wrong, because he assumes everyone who is a Muslim holds these to be the truth.
    Trying to use your single post history to spin the narrative will not work.
    He is a bigot who is using a tragedy to forward his beliefs of hating someone.  I seem to remember talk of some Christ dude who said love one another, not burn their holy books and be an extremist dickwad.

He is a racist, a bigot, and a failed human being.  He has every right to spew forth his vile crap, but you don’t have the right to try and make people think he is just misunderstood.  If you insert a race into his speech he could be a Grand Dragon of the KKK.
    Rather that look for solutions and make the world a better place, he has assigned blame for all of the ills of society on 1 group.
    He fears “Sharia Law” because I sense a deep seated fear that he doesn’t want it competing with his own version of “Holy Law” he wants to inflict on others.

We are stupid because we give any coverage to this bigoted little moron.
    He and his tiny church represent the views of a small extremist group, like the small group he claims represents all of Islam.

In closing, your not very good at this so stop.
    He has the right to be a foul bigot, but don’t pretend it isn’t what it is.

Oh and…