Denny's "The Hobbit" Menu Video Review

Video: Rob and Heather Beschizza • Music: "Darkest Child", by Kevin MacLeod.

When we saw that Denny's offered a Hobbit-themed Menu to coincide with the release of the major motion picture, we knew we had to check it out. What could be more enchanting to a J.R.R. Tolkien fan than hearty meals which evoke the rustic grandeur of The Shire?

★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Video: Rob and Heather Beschizza • Music: "Darkest Child", by Kevin MacLeod.

★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Published 9:15 am Wed, Dec 19, 2012

About the Author

35 Responses to “Denny's "The Hobbit" Menu Video Review”

1. paulj says:

Going to Denny’s while sober is rarely a pleasant experience.

2. jackbird says:

I’m disappointed that the ‘unnatural emulsions’ tag doesn’t link to any other posts.

3. Ian Dahlberg says:

A comedian once said that no one ever intentionally goes to Denny’s, you just end up there.

4. mappo says:

You’ll beschizza’n all night after a meal like that.

5. giantasterisk says:

A few months back there was another post on BB about the Denny’s Hobbit menu, but it got pulled almost immediately. Just curious — what happened there?

6. AwesomeRobot says:

Sober Denny’s? WTF?

7. unit_1421 says:

It’s my contention that an actual bird with a chisel can produce better images than the cameras on these tablet phones. Modern Stone Age Imagery!

8. Editz says:

Denny’s: An Unexpected Journey to the loo.

9. eliterrell says:

Dear Sir or Madam

I notice that you failed to link to http://www.dennys.com

The Pizza Hut precedent clearly applies in this case. Please fix.

Thank you.

10. EeyoreX says:

The creepy lightning really undescores the point.

11. capnmarrrrk says:

I am very disappointed the meals did not match up to the photos on the menu. Why those plates didn’t look magical at all!

12. giantasterisk says:

Looks about as tasty as a cave troll.

13. IronEdithKidd says:

Thanks for taking one for the team.  One star sounds a bit generous.

14. Paul Coleman says:

I laughed audibly with considerable gusto when you uttered “three one true onion rings”.

15. Tuff Luke says:

I’d like to formally request more of these videos.

16. Joe Trela says:

Crumbya, the Ring of Breading, Burnya, the Ring of Still-Hot Fryer Oil, and Crya, the Ring of syn-propanethial S-oxide.

17. garyg2 says:

Music was cool, know the name from a games credits but can’t remember which…

18. DaveLaFontaine says:

Back in the 90s, the late lamented Bikini magazine used to run a regular feature where the self-loathing food reviewer would subject himself to fast-food gluttony feasts.

My favorite is the one where he compared the Taco Bell 7-layer burrito to Dante’s 7 layers of Hell; as each layer progresses through your digestive tract, you are subjected to feelings akin to those of the suffering souls that line the concentric walls of The Pit.

19. bobtato says:

I feel like it would be a little patronising to say how smooshably adorable I find Rob and Heather in this video.  I guess it could be slightly cuter if they were wearing Ewok onesies, but only slightly.

20. Rev. Criss says:

We went on 11/6 in New York, the day the menu premiered.  Which may have been part of the mistake.  My partner ordered the skillet, being a gluten free guy and the skillet had sausage, potatoes, etc.  I forget what fancy name they gave it, but he rather liked it.  I ordered the mango smoothie, which I couldn’t finish so my partner finished it.

I got the Hobbit Hole, which would have been rather good had the eggs been cooked properly.  I like over easy, where the whites are cooked and the yellows oozing, but the whites were under-done.  I left half my meal on the plate, probably a wise decision.

They never offered me the trading cards. As I didn’t need them, and the waitress was a complete ditz, I didn’t bother asking.  They were not what drew me, although they may have amused me.

So we had a 50% satisfaction rate.  We avoided the fried donut holes obviously made with artificial color, etc.  If we’d both gotten the skillet, we may have both ended up happy.

21. peteywheats says:

One square of toilet paper to wipe them all, and in the bathroom, trap them.

22. Jean Baptiste says:

I’m two months late, but a couple of points:

Did anyone besides me read the Hobbit video graphic as “Denny’s Manure View”?

Also, between this and the “Cheesecake Factory” piece a month or so later, I’m starting to wonder if there’s not, well, an ax being ground here.  If so, no prob, I just like to know what’s what.

Another side-point: I don’t fault restaurants for giving people what they want.  I fault people (me, for example) for wanting it.  If many of us, as Americans, are so fouled-up in body and mind and soul that we need single-sitting 3000+ calorie plates of comfort food to get us through our day, there’s something very wrong with our day, our culture, and our way of life.  Same with my take on guns: there’s something fundamentally wrong with us, if we’re so quick to fill someone/s fulla lead for so little as looking at us funny.  There’s an…insecurity and paranoia and basic unkindness/self-centeredness at play with most of us that really worries me.  American, individually or in groups, scare me a lot more than do plates of food or guns.  In my opinion, the idea of limiting access to guns (or high-calorie foods) doesn’t address the real issue: there’s something wrong with us that needs to be fixed.