Pre-Holiday dinner mission: install LazyTruth

19 Responses to “Pre-Holiday dinner mission: install LazyTruth”

1. mccrum says:

It’s taken me years but people no longer send those things on to me since I started reply alling with the associated Snopes articles.

Not that I miss them.

• IronEdithKidd says:

I have an aunt-by-marriage that sent me such emails for a while.  I sent her the snopes articles back.  One day she though she cleverly preemptively sent the chain email with a supporting snopes article.  Unfortunately, she didn’t read the debunk that she sent along before hitting send.  Mysteriously, I didn’t get any more stupid emails from her after that.

• jandrese says:

The same thing works on Facebook too, and even better because everybody gets to see the debunk, not just the person who originally sent it.  I was amazed at how fast my feed was cleaned up when I started responding with Snopes articles.

2. technogeekagain says:

We need a browser-based version for social media. Faceplant in particular. (I won’t touch Gmail.)

3. oasisob1 says:

My family took some training over the years, but I don’t receive nearly as many hoax emails as I used to. Yay, Snopes! And now, yay, tool that checks Snopes for me.

4. mstem says:

BTW, LazyTruth is open source and we’re open to any places you might want to extend it…  https://github.com/mstem/LazyTruth-Chrome-Extension

• Samuel Valentine says:

The moment you offer this on facebook or as an ad-on for Chrome I’ll install. The fewer “nails in cheese at dog parks” and “legalese to inoculate facebook statuses” the better.

• ocker3 says:

Hoping someone with more coding skills than I will release an FF version

5. oasisob1 says:

This thing is failing to produce any effect for me. I use gmail and chrome together… nothing.

6. jon29 says:

It’s a great idea. Now it needs to be made for Internet Exploder (based on personal experience, I’m guessing the percentage of hoax email forwarders who use Chrome is pretty small).

7. Heartfruit says:

I would get more traction if I installed this on my MIL computer instead of my own.

8. Yeah… um… can we install it on FoxNews so that their own broadcasts debunk their own stupidity? That’d be awesome.

9. Gilbert Wham says:

Indeed. Tho Chrome notebooks may well change this…
    (Gah. Meant to be @ Heartfruit. Fuckin’ Disqus.)

10. SamSam says:

Someone needs to work out how to package this up as a virus, so that you can infect other people’s machines with it. Or someone at Google needs to “accidentally” set this as “default: on.”

It’s no good adding it to my own computer — anyone who sends me junk like this won’t care what I have to say. But when crazy uncle so-and-so gets an email from his crazy brother so-and-so, whom he trusts, and yet at the bottom of the email there are links to things debunking the email, it might actually have a tiny effect in stopping the spread of crazy.

Gmail could even release it as a spam-lowering patch (patching the humans who are the spam vectors).