Topps Ugly Stickers!

Zack sez, "Retronaut has a collection of the gloriously gross Topps Ugly Stickers from 1965. Just in time for the holidays!"

These were my favorite thing in the world when I was a kid. Marc Lieberman and I used to go and collect empty beer-bottles left behind by teenagers under the bleachers at Vanier Collegiate, then cash them in at Brewer's Retail at the Peanut Plaza for nickels, which we'd spend on these at the Mac's Milk. My bedroom door was covered in them. When my parents bought a new house and I had to leave my bedroom, I had to leave the door behind. I never recovered.

Topps Ugly Stickers (Thanks, Zack!)

17 Responses to “Topps Ugly Stickers!”

• monkeybeat says:

I was thinking of him too.

• Slartibartfatsdomino says:

Me three. Especially “Bill” and “Catherine.”

• billstreeter says:

I thought so too, but 1965 may have been a little early for him and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much fine detail in his work. So maybe not. I’m not sure. Would love to know one way or the other.

• Slartibartfatsdomino says:

So, I went to Wikipedia, because I was pretty sure that Wolverton was busy long before 1965. Not only did I find that he was active from the 40s onwards, I found this: “In 1968, Wolverton did the Ugly Posters series for Topps, displaying his trademark twisted headshots.” Not sure what the 1965/1968 discrepancy is about, but now I’m fairly confident that the above stuff is Wolverton.

• billstreeter says:

Yeah I was thinking of his son Monte.

1. protogenes says:

I still have a large collection of these :)

2. Spocko says:

I’m amazed how much we have in common. I too loved those. I collected soda bottles and turned them into Mick’s Drug store. I got these when all the other boys were buying baseball cards. The packs were 25 cents each. When we would find money it was always translated into how many “packs” you could buy with it. We found a dollar? “You can buy 4 packs!”

Of course years later they can now sell there baseball cards for thousands of dollars and all I have are memories of the book folders they were pasted too.

3. Hanglyman says:

At first glance, I thought they were stamps. If only.

4. Mitchell Glaser says:

I loved these back in the day! As I recall they came with bad chewing gum that we never ate, didn’t they?

5. sockdoll says:

I was a kid when funny monsters temporarily supplanted funny animals in popular culture during the ’60s, but my parents wouldn’t let me bring any of the cards, stickers, or magazines home. I did tend to be a bit nightmare-prone.

6. Anybody else here like The Residents?

7. Chentzilla says:

Puffy versions of those were covered on I-Mockery earlier: http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/monstickers/default.php

8. RyonRyon says:

If this is the kind of thing you guys are into, then allow me to present my friend’s cache of similar monstrosities:

9. benher says:

Didn’t Art Spiegelman do some work on these too or is my brain rotten from too much GPK gum?

10. TripleE78 says:

Neat.  They’re not Garbage Pail Kids though.

11. johngoad says: