18 Responses to “Dinosaur Comics creator's Choose-your-own-adventure Hamlet beats all Kickstarter publishing records”

1. oasisob1 says:

I’ve found, through BB, so many exciting ways to spend my money in the last month or so. It’s a shame that I don’t have any extra money to actually spend.

• Frank Lee Scarlett says:

I agree that there are always a few somethings on this site that I find worth considering buying because most of the items are things that I will enjoy and that I can to use to develop my practice (whether it be drawing, editing, mixing, et al.)

I’ve embraced limits much more passionately in the last few years, intentionally for artistic purposes and out of budgetary necessity. So, I limit myself to one book per 1-2 months that teaches me more about the activities I’m currently engaged in… calligraphy/lettering, and drawing being my primary disciplines these days.

What’s great about most BB stuff is that it’s geared towards those of us who do and make. (I know, HERP DERP that’s their thang). As such, I find I can manage a budget AND keep myself learning and enjoying my passions. And that’s a form of marketing I can appreciate.

It helps me focus. And I think my work has benefitted from it and it’s enhanced my practice.

When I was making enough money to buy, say, 5 or 6 books a month, I found myself constantly at loose end, distracted and oppressed by infinite possibilities. So hurray for limits.

I have also worked at my art through months of rice and beans in which the single purchase of a book was impossible. BB offers ample free materials, such that can be used for daily inspiration, practice and education without spending a dime.

In fin, It’s all good. And it works for me.

2. Halloween_Jack says:

He had me at “Kate Beaton”.

3. TooGoodToCheck says:

Ryan North + Almost Everyone in Webcomics

4. Kimmo says:

Sweet.

Though I’m maybe a tad disappointed the most successful Kickstarter campaign so far is a humorous book…

5. Bookburn says:

I’m stoked – I’ve never kickstarted anything before.

• TooGoodToCheck says:

I have kickstarted 2 games and a book.  so far I would describe the process as “slow”. or at least slow compared to the frenzy of the kickstarter itself.  Nothing is actually late so far – just. . .  A whole lot of life has passed by.  In the time since I kicked in, I’ve gotten laid off, moved to another country, started the kids in a new school, and the things I kickstarted haven’t so far kickfinished.

I’m not complaining – more just observing that the pace of someone actually making a thing is dramatically different from the pace of me just buying a thing that’s already made.

• BookGuy says:

I think that’s a good point for people new to it.  Don’t go in thinking, “Oh, I’m pre-ordering something, and it will be done exactly when they say it will and/or as soon as the funding ends.”  It likely won’t work that way.  Go in knowing that it may take a while, and don’t spend more money than you’re willing to lose without getting anything in return.  I’ve done 5 or 6, and only one of them has really fallen apart.  It’s been about a year and a half, and the project person won’t answer questions, shows contempt for his backers in the (very infrequent) updates, and has started selling the items on this own website before providing them to the vast majority of his backers.  The rage surrounding it is a pretty bad scene, especially for people who kicked in hundreds of dollars for a top-tier reward and the people who got them intending them to be Christmas presents…for 2011.  Avoid those traps, and it’s kind of fun.

And I totally backed this one.  I loved CYOA books in my youth.

6. penguinchris says:

Though I too do not have any extra money to spend at the moment, I was in on this on day one. I spoke with Ryan North briefly at his table at the TCAF comics convention in Toronto earlier this year and he seemed just like he seems online, super friendly and fun to be around… but also competent and confident in his work.

I enjoyed the encounter primarily because the people who went up to his table just before me had a photo on a phone of North with the Star Trek TNG cast (from a convention) and they apparently only went up to talk to him to find out who the frumpy old dude in the photo was… it was Riker (Frakes).

Anyway… the book looks great and involvement with some of my other webcomic favorites like Kate Beaton and Anthony Clark (both of whom I also met at TCAF and who are also nice) makes it irresistible to me.

7. Grey Devil says:

i decided this was amazing on so many levels i just threw my money at kickstarter.

8. Jorpho says:

I was thinking about waiting until next year’s TCAF to pick this book up, considering the rather exorbitant $10 international shipping fee.

But just another $10K and Mr. North will “literally explode”!  How can you resist that?

9. Kaleberg says:

Is it anything like the text adventure version of Hamlet at http://rdouglasjohnson.com/hamlet/ ? I thought that was a hoot.

10. oldtaku says:

If Dino Comics + Kate Beaton weren’t enough for you, he’s also the guy who wrote the fantastic Adventure Time comic book (first TPB out now).