Etsy seller's awesome, 3D printed nerdy cookie-cutters

23 Responses to “Etsy seller's awesome, 3D printed nerdy cookie-cutters”

1. theophrastvs says:

wouldn’t it be easier to directly print the cookies than try to get slightly sticky dough to drop loose of those beautifully made highly complex cutters?

2. bcsizemo says:

Cookie cutters?  You are somehow implying I just don’t eat the dough raw…

3. AbleBakerCharlie says:

Obviously, they’re cool and it’s equally cool that this sort of high end handicraft is enabled by 3D printing. It’s also a lesson in why out might not magically displace other manufacturing- if she’s getting repeat orders, a cheap injection molding rig could churn out her daily production in minutes.

• unclegabby says:

At a few hours a piece, selling them at 5 dollars a piece she may not even be covering the power costs much less the cost of equipment. Home 3-d printing is cool and all, but industrial 3-d printers have been around for a few decades now and they still are used for just prototype type work. A molded plastic part would be much stronger and safer, also.

4. Wingnut says:

Multimillion dollar idea:
    inexpensive custom user-specified eyeglass frames.

5. Ender Wiggin says:

IP lawsuit incoming in  3….2…..

6. MidianGTX says:

Kinda highlights the need for an FDA-approved plastic for 3D printer use. One person throws up their cookies and she’s in potential danger.

7. Henry Minsky says:

Yeah that was my first though, what plastic is being used? I have a printrbot, and have not made anything with it in ABS that would be used for food.

8. norma_stits says:

Springerle maybe, you’ll never get a sugar cookie out of that. That’s a 1960′s electric football level of disappointment,

9. JDs_mojo says:

Springerle maybe, sugar cookie dough forget it. Talkin’ 1960′s electric football level of disappointment.

• Rich Keller says:

I was thinking springerle dough, too. And the ammonia in the hartshorn helps you from eating it raw.

(Now  I just need to find out what kind of resin they use for springerle mold replicas. I have some ideas of my own…)

10. daev says:

The Dr Who cutters are gone… can’t find them on the site now.

I’ll reserve my copyfight anger until a deal’s been struck or bullying is evident. I propose 10% for the copyright fee, negotiable but no higher than 30%.

Good cookie-cutter press is damn hard to find in the wild, and this could work out well for everyone as long as there’s not an asshole involved.

11. Cowicide says:

I think I’m more impressed with (what I assume is) her attainment of licenses for permission to use all those images from major corporations.

I’m pretty surprised and disappointed the article makes no mention of it whatsoever.  I wonder what the terms are?

• bcsizemo says:

You showed up a little late…

While my first post is third down on the list, it was originally closer to eight.  There were several commenters that made similar insights, all be it in less tactful ways.

12. jackbird says:

She also mentions she’s getting 5 hours of sleep a night.  That probably isn’t sustainable.

13. eeyore says:

Yes, they are very cool.  Great, take the designs, upload them to thingiverse, and let people print their own – everybody wins, and fair use is protected.

Selling them is no different than some douche reprinting Cory’s books without his knowledge or consent, and keeping all the proceeds.  Copyright is broken, but this is WRONG.