YouTube confiscates 2 billion views from Universal and Sony

20 Responses to “YouTube confiscates 2 billion views from Universal and Sony”

1. Cowicide says:

entertainment giants got their ears pinned back after they were caught buying fake “likes” and “views” from a crooked botmaster.

Isn’t that corporate fraud or something illegal like that? IANAL, obviously.

• Florian Bösch says:

Seeing as there where likely ad-revenue payouts based on this, I’m pretty sure it’s fraud. Mostly advertising providers don’t go after offenders of viewfraud/clickfraud because the economic damage is comparatively small and the cost of entering legal proceedings would exceed the damage. They usually just ban offenders for life, or a very long time.

However viewfraud/clickfraud to the tune of billions is bound to be enough to pay a couple lawyers full time for a couple years, so they might just.

2. nixiebunny says:

What about VEVO? They are ripe for this.

3. PhosPhorious says:

There are more than a few videos that I would like to un-see.

4. xzzy says:

Are Universal and Sony going to have to return all those theoretical dollars they made off those view?

5. Max Allan says:

And these are the companies who try to fine people gajillions of units of currency for illegally downloading their crap. How about for every fake page view, someone gets a free download.
    The sooner these dinosaurs fade away the better.

6. Xof says:

I hope YouTube does the right thing and distributes those views to the poor.

7. Yarmouth Bands says:

It wasn’t just the big guys it was every honest Youtuber. They nailed everyone including those that did nothing illegal.

8. Baldhead says:

Often wondered what counts as a view. I’ve seen plenty videos where it was just crap and switched off after maybe 8 seconds. Does that count as a view?

9. robcat2075 says:

“Corporations are people, my friend,” especially to their imaginary, paid-for friends.

10. nixiebunny says:

I consider views of my videos to be a bit of an ego boost, but nothing more.
    Are you trying to tell me that some people consider them to be worth something more?

11. ocker3 says:

It couldn’t have happened to a nice group of guys

12. Culturedropout says: