I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

15 Responses to “Lord Buckley meets Groucho Marx”

1. $19428857 says:

I swear. This is like the eighth time in the past year a video I posted on my Facebook has shown up here within a week after. The synchronicity is strong in this one.

2. Mordicai says:

Shoot, that sounds EXACTLY like Amy Poehler!  Looks like her a little, too.  A believable rumor!

3. aperturehead says:

It’s fun to see and hear Buckley’s boisterous banter with Groucho (easily his intellectual match)

Here’s a slightly more seasonly-appropriate Lord Buckley doing his faster-than-the-speed-of-light Be Bop synopsis of “Scrooge”

Lord Buckley – Scrooge

PS – out of context it makes little sense, but my favorite LB vocal fragment is “WHO WAS DRIVING WHILE YOU WERE GONE?!”

4. Drew Smith says:

It’s not likely to be Amy Poehler’s grandmother.  Amy’s mother was born Eileen Frances Milmore, not Chapman.

5. Matisse Enzer says:

Did they go for the 2000? Did they win?

6. jimh says:

“You look like a very wealthy, and successful, confidence man.”

7. amarx says:

Groucho was my grandfather and I still remember, having landed myself a summer job in 1973, archiving all of the “You Bet Your Life” shows, sitting with my grandfather at his house watching numerous episodes, including this one, which he particularly enjoyed.

8. Chas S. Clifton says:

Did you notice how Groucho’s putting the cigar to his lips seems to have been edited out?

• CliffStoll says:

While the two players’ microphones are out in the open, Groucho’s microphone has been hidden by some leafy plant, and in post-processing, airbrushed out of the scene (pre-photoshop!).  All three microphones are the classic RCA 77-DX ribbon mics.  High quality audio, despite the artists moving around the soundstage.