Thanks for subscribing to Boing Boing, Stefan!

32 Responses to “Thanks for subscribing to Boing Boing, Stefan!”

1. Stefan Jones says:

Man, everything about that check makes me feel old. I joined that credit union when I got my first job out of school. It was the employee credit union for Pan Am airlines, which was winding down when I joined. There was this guy who ran a souvenir table in the branch near work; he sold Pan Am memorabilia. Post cards, flight bags, notebooks, that kind of thing.  It seemed so damn sad, that this airline that was supposed to run passenger service to a space station had been reduced to a table of knick-knacks.

2. FourFeetOfCurl says:

The first meme of 2013: Where is Stefan Jones?

Oh, there he is.

3. 10xor01 says:

Is the content from #9 for “Home Surgery on Your Pets” online somewhere?  I’m intrigued, and possibly horrified.

4. At least, you could have censored the adress or the numbers at the bottom of the check… it gives personnal informations about this person, who is maybe still alive and using this very same bank account…

5. Keith Seric says:

Probably not a great idea to be posting someones signature online either, regardless of rather or not those routing/account numbers and address are still in use.  Although previous addressed are used for identity fraud schemes and account verification through credit bureaus.

• awjt says:

I’m signing all my legal documents “Stefan Jones” from now on, in the same hand.  Thanks, Stefan, for your fine penmanship.

• max00 says:

How often do you see a signature actually get a meaningful authentication? Because those are the situations where keeping it a secret will help you out.

The rest of the time, requiring a signature makes it a little more likely someone will have committed fraud.

6. taj says:

Awesome find, Stefan!

7. . says:

This is why you don’t post stuff like this online..

About Stefan Jones

• taj says:

that is extremely creepy!

• Shibi_SF says:

Well, now I know way too much about Stefan Jones.

• Stefan Jones says:

Some of that is accurate. A lot isn’t.

There is another Stefan Jones in Pittsburgh. And a couple in the Portland area.

(In fact, when I lived in Pittsburgh, I got a few phone calls meant for the other Stefan . . . who I had met years before when he was a sales person and I was a sales trainer. And once in Powell’s I went to the customer service desk to answer a page and found one of the other Stefans there with his party.)

8. Over the River says:

and this is why I always reference this site as bOING bOING.

9. High five if (like me) you subscribed to bOING bOING because of the ad in the back of the now defunct Spy magazine.  “Get Illuminated!”

10. bolamig says:

I like that the bank lists their zip code but not their address.  Seems like a simpler time when mail was routed by people who knew things instead of OCR robots.

11. princeminski says:

I guess this is off topic, but bOING bOING was a really great zine.

12. Robert Cruickshank says:

I moved recently, and while cleaning up found a box of bOING bOINGs, Factsheet Fives, Mondo 2000s, receipts for modems that cost 200 dollars, and cancelled cheques made out to BBSs.  Doesn’t seem that long ago…

13. Erik Englund says:

The first time I ever even heard of Boing Boing was when I bought Issue 8 of Mondo 2000 (Diamanda Galas on cover) at a local comic book/magazine store (Shinders) in Minnesota. The cashier said…”this is good, but I like Boing Boing better”. Had NO IDEA what he was talking about…I think I was probably 16 or 17 at the time.

14. invictus says:

Psst, Stefan… That’s “users’ manuals,” not “user’s manuals.” I only mention it because this seems like an important document, you understand.