Andy Borowitz tells the harrowing tale of his near-death experience with severe intestinal trouble. A good poop joke should not go unappreciated, and this is a brilliantly told 18-page poop joke. Give it a read on your lunch break.

18 Responses to “An Unexpected Twist”

1. Christopher says:

I don’t mean to sound like a Luddite, but is it possible this book will ever be available in a non-Kindle (preferably paper and ink) version? At some point I may purchase an e-reader of some ilk, but I resent feeling like I’m being required to do so.

• oasisob1 says:

you can download kindle readers for mac and pc. Apparently there’s a linux method, also.

• Christopher says:

It’s still the same problem in a different form. I could also request that one of my local libraries (which lend Kindles) purchase the e-book. They’d probably be willing to do so (I have inside connections).

I didn’t think being able to purchase the book in a form that doesn’t require an external power source was too much to ask, but apparently I was mistaken.

• princessalex says:

Hey, things change.  I love origami and can read diagrams very well.  I hate trying to learn a new model from a video.  But, how do they have most of the origami instructions now?  In video.  It’s difficult to find a diagram anymore.

And, every time I find a makeup color I really love, they stop making it.  (Also, perfume, lotion, hair care product, etc.)

Until we can afford to have our very own, personal creator-of-everything-we-want/like, we have to follow the rules of being in a society.  Which, basically, falls down to:  You might like that item, but if enough OTHER people don’t, you can’t get it.

• ChristopherAW says:

This

• Christopher says:

If this were as simple as failing to adapt to change I’d say you’re spot on, but it isn’t. While I admit e-books have their advantages I don’t like a format that (1) requires the purchase of a specific device or program that excludes other formats (something that isn’t a problem with traditional books), and (2) allows Amazon or another provider to remove any content I’ve purchased at their discretion.

To use your makeup analogy, imagine having to make an initial investment of $200 in a new set of nails and then being unable to wear certain colors because they’re made by a brand that isn’t supported by the nailmaker you chose. Or imagine a glitch in your nails causing them to disappear or be rendered completely inaccessible.

“Hey, things change” isn’t a reason to abandon traditional books. As I said previously I may at some point purchase an e-reader, but I don’t think consumers should be forced to convert exclusively to e-books just because publishers are greedy and short-sighted.

• Charles says:

It’s 18 pages. I don’t know for fact, but I’d happily wager that the production costs per unit go up as the page count goes down. It’s not a matter of being greedy, it’s a matter of being efficient. Or would you rather they consume trees and power to produce this 18 page book, where 90% of the copies will end up unsold and in the trash anyway?

I understand the concern about the proprietary format, I do. But until there is a universal format that addressess the needs of the publishers and consumers both, this is what we get.

I still love a physical book, but if that’s not an option, at least I know i still have some options on how I can consume the electronic formats. The fact that you’ve posted a comment means you already have a channel of consumption, without having to buy an eReader.

• max00 says:

The trick is to factor all the downsides into your consideration of spending $0.99.

Then you don’t have to have a battle with yourself about whether purchasing an ephemeral version of something or other is the same as purchasing a finely printed edition, you can battle yourself deciding if reading the content is worth $0.99.

• CH says:

But do you really think this book, which at 18 pages really is an essay, would ever have made it into a physical book? In some kind of publication, sure. But as a book?

Electronic distribution gives a chance for content, that would normally not have had a chance in hell to be published, due to the very small target group. Now, if you can find your target group, you can even sell really well as you have an instant global distribution vs. having to fight for expensive shelf space in a brick and mortar store.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

All restaurants are now Taco Bell.

• oasisob1 says:

For an 18-page book, I would imagine it’s the most economic publishing method for the author. Of course, it *could* also have just been a blog post, but writers like to eat, I hear.

• B E Pratt says:

Simply go to http://calibre-ebook.com/ for ALL your ebook reading needs. Free and open source.’Nuff said :)

• mr_bloo_sky says:

You can use the web-based Amazon Cloud Reader to read all Kindle purchases:

2. Paul Bowen says:

“I don’t know for fact, but I’d happily wager that the production costs per unit go up as the page count goes down.”

Correct. No problem with the format I just wish I could have bought other than through Amazon. But I bought it anyway and it was worth it for a super read – funny, scary, aw-some. Hats off, Mr Borowitz.

3. Donald Petersen says:

But did anyone like the poop story?  Never mind, I’ll go read it myself.  (I like books and e-readers and, in a pinch, shampoo bottle labels equally, so I have no dog in this fight.)

4. Jonbly Herbert says:

Much shorter, but you might also enjoy “Bob the Anal Fissure”. No Kindle, just Google…

5. I once knew a kid that like to poop in his shoes. The End