Terrific no-mess milk frother

32 Responses to “Terrific no-mess milk frother”

1. Got one of these as a Xmas gift.  IT IS AWESOME.

2. EggyToast says:

It does seem like a better solution to the wand-type frother, especially for home use. I hated that element of having an espresso machine at home, and usually just had espresso with hot milk/soy since I couldn’t ever get it right. Two things: is it dishwasher safe? And is this along the lines of the old “cool tools” posts? I like this way of doing these kinds of posts more, personally, as it feels less like an ad and more like a trusted friend talking about stuff like they like.

3. Graham Ladner says:

“Viola” is the 3rd person singular, simple past conjugation of rape in French. http://www.bescherelle.com/conjugueur.php?term=violer

You meant “voilà”. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/voil%C3%A0

4. razcall says:

Mine’s better: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XlOZSAqML.jpg
    – does one or two cups worth of froth (not just one)
    – top part detaches and can be put in the dishwasher

:D

@google-8b44f299cd964aa0fdeb53a90a24c7ec:disqus … I was thinking musical instrument. 3rd person passe simple, and an exclamation mark … can’t be an imperative.

5. xian says:

I’ve had a couple of these (previous gen actually, so maybe they’ve fixed them now?), and they are very nice for a period of time, but eventually the nonstick coating inside breaks down where the heating element is making it harder to clean over time. Last year I switched to a Capresso FrothPro and haven’t had that problem. Plus the heating cup is replaceable if you damage it somehow.

6. malthusan says:

It’s also possible the OP actually intended to use “viola” as an intentional tweak of the cliche with the added benefit of offending you, personally.

7. Robo-Design says:

How is this different than an Advert? Even if this machine works great , its part of a line of espresso machines made by Nestlé that  generates lots of unnecessary, single serving packaging waste similar to Keurig.

• SamSam says:

That’s a fairly weird objection, since the actual thing in question doesn’t generate lots of unnecessary, single serving packaging waste, so who cares what line of products it’s in.

It’s a little like saying “Even if this machine works great, it’s made by a company in a country that had a history of storing Nazi gold.”

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

“I don’t like Otto because his grandmother used to fart a lot.”

8. TheMadLibrarian says:

When I was in undergrad organic chemistry, we used to have one of these things for mixing chemicals that needed to be in particular containers (usually flasks with gradations).  It was a base with an induction magnet that could heat the contents of the container, and a separate capsule sized, teflon coated stirrer.  Drop the stirrer gently into the flask and set on the base.  You could heat to any desired temperature and maintain, while agitating as gently or as vigorously as desired.

• BillStewart2012 says:

Those were cool.  My father had one of them in his lab, and it’s such an obviously elegant design.  (Also, you can probably make your frothed milk in an Erlenmeyer flask, like several generations of chemists have done for instant coffee.)

• ohbejoyful says:

They are still used in pathology labs today! I walk by it every afternoon – the spinning liquid forms a lovely tornado.

9. gorfulator says:

I need this for cocoa! Sh!t spills over if I don’t watch it!

10. Carl Maltby says:

An adequate first world arrogance. Kind of like a genuine rubber cock as opposed to a stick.

11. legsmalone says:

The size of a can of peaches? No way, man. Give me a green bean can or I’m out.

12. sdmikev says:

In case someone wants an alternative, I have a cuisinart “smart stick” blender that came with a container into which one can.. stick blend stuff.
    I found after some research that you put in about a cup of milk (non-fat) froth it nice, THEN heat in the microwave – works great.  I combine that with our Bialitti stove-top thing for some lovely afternoon cappuccinos after work.

13. BillStewart2012 says:

Sigh.  Another probably nice product that I won’t buy, because it’s from Nestlé, who are Evil, and who keep buying up products and companies I like.  (The Nestlé boycott has been going on for 35 years, and they still haven’t cleaned up their act except briefly during the mid-80s.  They sell baby formula in third world countries that don’t have the clean water infrastructure to make it safe, to people who typically can’t really afford it, and they dress up their sales people as doctors and nurses to promote it in hospitals.  More details at Wikipedia.  I’ve personally seen them promoting their stuff at medical conferences in the 90s in Costa Rica (which isn’t third world, but it’s still inappropriate.)

14. beejamin says:

But – does it actually work like a proper steam wand? The phrase ‘super fluffy’ sounds really bad – like marshmallow consistency stiff foam, with huge bubbles in it.

I can’t imagine how the little rotor (which is in the bottom of the container) can make that beautiful, silky microfoam like a wand can: the tip of the wand sits at the interface of milk and air, and introduces tiny, tiny bubbles – so you don’t get fluff – you get something that looks more like thick paint than foam.

• Michael Corry says:

No it doesn’t for exactly the reasons you describe. It simply does not put enough air into the milk.
      But it is useful in a small kitchen and it is tons better than sachets of instant latte.
      I tried one out but I went back to the steam wand. I even went to school to learn barista skills.

15. andygates says:

Call me a snob, but there’s still a gulf of difference between steamed milk and frothed milk.  It’s a whole level of unctuous hugging.

Neat toy though :)

16. There is some good evidence that steaming milk is better, like breaking down the lactose into simpler sugars making it taste sweeter, among other things.

17. ndirons says:

After several years of use, I am still delighted by Ikea’s $3 frother (which also has the best name of any Ikea product in history): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10076320/

Given that it’s very small and might not last forever, I have three backups, and haven given away a bunch of them as gifts.

18. Paul Downs says:

It’s £90 in the UK, almost as much as my coffee machine, I think I’ll stick with the steam.  Takes about a minute to make enough for 2 or 3 cappuccino’s.

19. ohbejoyful says:

I have a small Bodum french press; I heat the milk, transfer it to the press, and plunge away. 7 strokes results in a very creamy, small bubbled foam; twice as many and you could stand a spoon in it.

20. You’re catching onto this now? Go to aromacup.com to find the better stuff.