Remix: "Call Me Maybe Acapella 147 Times Exponentially Layered"

15 Responses to “Remix: "Call Me Maybe Acapella 147 Times Exponentially Layered"”

1. Next step: slow it down 1000 times.

2. Trig Discipline says:

I was about to say “so this is like a lazy John Oswald piece” but then I listened to it and it’s actually pretty damn cool.

3. I’m an audio pro, and I have no idea what “147 times exponentially layered” means. Is there any explanation of what techniques are being used? Does this mean that each time a new layer is added, the existing layers are collectively halved in volume?

• Stiv says:

I think it means the time between each layer decreases exponentially. So each layer gets added with a slightly shorter space between the next layer. That’s why the track degrades into a more or less constant noise/tone/sound. I fink.

•  I was wondering the same thing, but I think @twitter-22685788:disqus has it right.  Sort of like a Row, Row, Row Your Boat round that starts sooner every time.  When I first read that I thought it involved multiplying frequencies or something but it doesn’t sound like that at all.

• Until 1:03 it seems to just be a new song every two bars. After that I think there is some grain synthesis going on, probably controlled. The distortion might be caused by the layers just being added and cut off if the amplitude gets too high.

I suspect that the composer simply didn’t understand the meaning of exponential and wanted to say that it adds to the same thing again and again. I’ve heard people using the term like that occasionally. I blame teachers.

4. Leo says:

Needs more dubstep

5. Scott Fay says:

First in with Steve Reich reference.  1966 b!tches.

6. Jon says:

I’m not sure which makes my head hurt more, this version or the original.

• Wreckrob8 says:

The original is certainly one of the more obnoxious forms of noise pollution encountered in public at the moment.

7. meerkat says:

BTW – Dan Deacon is quite the happy mutant, amazing in concert and a musical genius. If this video doesn’t entertain you, you are sad horrid person (or just have different tastes than me!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXiXlF7olo