History of Foosball

14 Responses to “History of Foosball”

1. Dick Selwood says:

Come on – 1937 is hardly “Fin de siècle”

• David Pescovitz says:

Did you read the article that I linked to?

“Some say that in a sort of spontaneous combustion of ideas, the game erupted in various parts of Europe simultaneously sometime during the 1880s or ’90s as a parlor game.”

2. Chuck says:

It actually has its roots in the Roman Colosseum, where condemned men would be tied in rows to logs.  Galley slaves would be brought in bear the weight of the logs at either end, moving them side-to-side and otherwise manipulating them in a manner that would cause the condemned to kick a ball around the Colosseum grounds until a goal was scored.  (I may have made that up.)

3. Edward says:

I had always thought foosball  had been invented in Germany

4. theophrastvs says:

certainly that would make the most sense given the name sharfes ‘s’ ß and all: Fußball

5. By the way: The most epic Foosball scene in cinematic history:

6. Noah Sheola says:

So it was either invented in the 1930s or else maybe in the 1890s? I don’t see why this should be so hard to settle. Surviving tables and documentary evidence such as photographs from the late 19th century either exist or they do not. How much effort did the author really put into figuring this out?

7. Bex W says:

Whatever, just remember no spinning.

8. In 1975 I met a guy who claimed to have the patent on Foosball, He had set himself up in a house close to Land’s end and made acoustic guitars as a hobby. He made one fantastic instrument per week.

9. JIMWICh says:

Foosball is the greatest, purest, and most perfect competitive sport ever created by mankind.  No goal in a net, swooshy basket, tumble across a line, or tedious putt into a hole can compare to its brutal, beautiful, and dare I say sacred, thwack.