Cover for new edition of Orwell's 1984 is brilliant

40 Responses to “Cover for new edition of Orwell's 1984 is brilliant”

1.  Relative to my personal tastes it looks like complete ass

• Complete ass? It mocks SOPA in a brilliant way, how is it complete ass? Also, I don’t think your opinion really holds up if that’s all you have to say.

• I did say “relative to my tastes”. And to be honest, my tastes are a bit low brow. I like stuff that “looks pretty”.

• crnk says:

Sorry but I don’t see any bit of relation to SOPA…  If black bars across a visual object is a mockery of SOPA I think your standards are abysmally low.  Yes it is a commentary on censorship (but artistically I find it lacking in creativity while boring and predictable…execution is the only mildly redeeming quality) but I think SOPA is a huge stretch.  I find the internet ‘blackouts’ more creative anyway…sites retained branding while making a statement.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

You mean you don’t like the look of ass? WTF is wrong with you?

2. Smash Martian says:

New edition? There has only ever been this edition.

3. Reminds me of the cover of Bowie’s new album. In the zeitgeist…

4. Ladyfingers says:

Penguin’s cover art strategy is genius. Almost no designer fees, and gives readers an easy way to show off how clever they are in the café from right across the street.

5. Ian Wood says:

Speaking of █████ ██████, I am particularly impressed with ██████. Almost smug, in fact.

6. Donald Petersen says:

I love it.  If left in charge, I might have also blacked out the Penguin’s eyes, a la Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.  But that’s why I’m never left in charge.

7. chris jimson says:

You should see their cover for “Fahrenheit 451″– it’s HOT!

8. Gerel Gruber says:

Why print obliteration at all especially for a book with words and stuff? Makes no sense to me. AND yes I have read this book several times thank you.

9. Ben Burger says:

I think it’s pretty bad. I can hardly make out the writting (I know that’s the point) To me it looks more like a history of penguin publishing.

10. sam1148 says:

There was a limited edition of Fahrenheit 451. 200 Signed. Bounded with an asbestos cover. Also a similar binding for Steven King’s Firestarter. Limited edition.

• numpty says:

However, in Zero Dark Thirty’s case, they may just have scribbled over the posters in embarrassment. On a par with Titanic for being a true story you already knew that really didn’t merit a Hollywood version.

11. Angel Moberly says:

Pure awesomesauce!

12. hacky says:

The photo is a neat test for correct laptop screen angle.

13. Jean Baptiste says:

I bet we’ll be finding copies of this stinkbomb in various book store discount racks for years to come…

14. agonist says:

I like it but I wish they had made it more obvious who the publisher was.

15. Dove Tail says:

I’m a bit concerned about the designer’s grasp of the English language though.

16. Kang Dian says:

Here’s the one showing the title… http://chipkidd.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1-book-covers-George-Orwell-1984.jpg

17. orwell says:

meh…

since most, if any, will be purchasing this hard bound version online, i think the effort put into deboss, matte foil, etc., is pretty much lost.  don’t think they gave alot of thought to how it would communicate “on shelf.” (meaning, online in today’s virtual bookstore world)  and seriously, how many iterations did they go through to get this version?  doesn’t seem very “1984,” to me, but what do i know…

• SamSam says:

But even after they buy it online, they still have it, debossed, matte foil and all…. right? Unless you are saying that most people will be buying it for ereaders, in which case you’re wrong because ebooks are still well under a third of the book market.

18. UncaScrooge says:

This cover is doubleplusgood, but I can’t wait to spend a dark eternity on the moon after absorbing their new design for Brave New World.

19. bigasquam says:

1984 is like soooo 29 years ago

20. Victoria Sheffield says:

Nice Cover!

21. I actually think this would have been a much more brilliant cover design for Animal Farm.

“Some are more equal than others.”

22. Dean Kielpinski says:

The idea is great but execution fails, without other text there’s no clue anything’s been redacted, and if you don’t know about redacting it’s just some black boxes on the cover.