Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck? President Obama refused to address this pressing question. But science has the answer. (Via Tim Maly and kottke)

12 Responses to “Man vs. duck (or a bunch of little horses)”

1. Dan Hibiki says:

I’ve had trouble fighting a duck sized duck, i’d hate to go up against a horse sized version.

Duck sized horses… I think I can take e’m on. I’ figure i’d probably be able to just steam roll them all.

2. DJBudSonic says:

I raise chickens and sometimes the wild ducks hang out with us. My gut instinct is to take the small horses, because I giant duck would be terrifying.  Although 100 of almost anything is a handful, I know I wouldn’t want to fight 100 chicken-size chickens.  If a chicken was the size of a horse it would be a dinosaur, and we would be in trouble.

3. huskerdont says:

Science has the answer for which I’d rather fight?

4. franko says:

sorry, but i’m siding with the president on this one. it’s only a pressing question if it is equally important to children being shot, the economy, or other matters of state. call me when we’re being attacked by horse-sized ducks, or duck sized horses.

5. TheOven says:

How long until we see an oil painting of exactly this?

6. Horses are predator food and easily spooked so a herd of 100 micro horses should be pretty easy to deal with.

The geese at the local parks have no fear of humans but flee from my 15 pound wolf descendent companion. That said, I could probably take on a horse sized duck provided I was armed with my katana.

(goes and reads link)

Good points all.

• BillStewart2012 says:

The geese aren’t afraid of you because they think a bunch of geese can kick your ass.  (Ducks aren’t quite as aggressive.)

Humans do have experience with large birds, though – dodos and ostriches.   Physics aside, if your horse-sized duck has the temperament of a dodo, it’s toast.  If it has the temperament of a goose, you’re in trouble.

For the large herd of cute little horses – “Friendship is Magic!”   (ducks…)

7. Rich Keller says:

I’d rather fight the horse sized duck because I can’t get the snow blower to run for the fight with the 100 duck sized horses.

8. bzishi says:

Why fight it? Taming a horse sized duck would be about as awesome as taming a unicorn. Both have fearsome weapons on their heads, but the duck can fly and is an expert at swimming (though arguably, the unicorn could just use glitter to walk on the water or the air). I’ve just seen the movie How to Train Your Dragon, so I think I know what to do.

9. pdffs says:

Awesome scientist is awesome.