Resistor-code tattoo, with free/open design

42 Responses to “Resistor-code tattoo, with free/open design”

1. Kibo says:

But what happens if we suddenly switch to using Metric? He’d have to shrink his forearm to 100/127 its original length to keep the ruler function working. And have you ever tried shrinking your bones by a ratio involving a Mersenne prime? It’s harder than it should be.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Anyone who’s ever been to the Folsom Street Fair knows that tattoos lose their proportions quite rapidly.

2. winkybb says:

What is an “inch”?

• Kibo says:

An inch is exactly 1.0 cm, but only for centimeters that are at least two and a half times fatter than they should be because they’ve been eating deep-fried American sketti (with ketchup-and-margarine sauce.)

• Glen Able says:

In the UK nowadays, the “inch” is only employed as a unit of penis length.

Btw, I think it should be “tau” (the number we should be using instead of pi), and not “Tao” (the Chinese metaphysical concept).

• That_Anonymous_Coward says:

an archaic unit of measure used to describe phalluses online, the measurement is often reduced in that situation to make them sound much more impressive.  ex. AOL Inches.

3. winkybb says:

The geekiest tattoo I ever saw was last year. A guy in our bike club has a computer matrix  thingy that represented the logic (or output?) of a Turing Machine tattooed on his calf. It is quite big, maybe 6cm x 15cm. Not that interesting from a purely artistic/graphical standpoint perhaps; but people who recognise what it is without asking are members of a different club. I had to ask.

4. Suddenly, it dawned on me: the resistor code should be what we use for the black bar at the top of the site.

5. DisGuest says:

I see a box of watercolor paints.

6. Randy Walters says:

I remember the mnemonic (now, as always, painfully politically incorrect) passed along by my dear physics teacher, back in high school:

“Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Girls, But Violet Goes Willingly. Get Some Now.”

It had the advantage of being memorable, but I know it’s horrid. Please tell me it’s been replaced by something more appropriate.

• Robert Cruickshank says:

Better Be Right,or Your Great Big Venture Goes Wrong, is the one I teach. Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well is common too, except among teetotalers.

• speleothem says:

I remember it as “Bad Boys Rode Our Young Geese But Victor Got Wet,” although my electronics teacher hinted at a naughty version.

• Ray Perkins says:

We were taught even more non-pc, and used rape, not ravage. But do resistors still have color codes? Maybe the cheap ones, but any I have, have the values printed on in a font too small to read.

7. flyoverland says:

What happens when he gets older and his skin starts to sag? Here’s the solution.  http://www.drtattoff.com

8. Robert Cruickshank says:

No silver or gold? That’s intolerant.

9. drawboy says:

My tattoo isn’t as cool on as many levels as that one, but it’s still pretty pragmatic.  http://drawboy.blogspot.com/2012/09/inked.html

10. perch says:

I’m not really seeing the pride flag in  this…

11. “…Do not mark your skin with tattoos….”  Lev. 19:28, The Holy Bible.

• ldobe says:

“Don’t be an ass” -Me, just now.

There, I’ve negated your argument from authority with an equally valid counterargument from authority.

• UnderachievingSheep says:

Not only that but, unlike the “authority” quoted above, you are tangible and in a position to clarify/ correct should the need ever arise.

• iCowboy says:

Right there in the Bible alongside condoning slavery, avoiding shrimp and not playing American football.

12. Blake Gwinn says:

Not sure that is a tat.
    But I have to say that these tats now days are just sad.
    Given that that lovely butterfly of today will be a sad moth in a few years.
    Love those neck tats too. “I never want to have a good job”
    My choice for a tat would be my blood type and my last wishes.

13. Blake Gwinn says:

Tats end up looking bad…!? They are temp tats that you pick out off the wall.
    they then stick it on and color it in.
    Your new unique tat is on you and a million others. I have yet to understand the desire for them. 4 years in the navy and the thought never crossed my mind.

Tats on the hands face neck
    YAAA!

Yep… O-neg  Please do not fold bend or spindle. Return for recycling
    Would be my choice!

14. Can you work in an 18% gray card and something for white balance? Thanks!

(12% for the cognoscenti)

15. benher says:

I love pieces like this! It’s always nice when a client puts some thought and creativity into their orders.

Tattooing something “simple” like this is much more difficult than it looks, but the payoff is worth it. Then again, I’m a sucker for geometric straightness on curved body parts!

16. surreality says:

I’m constantly amazed that at such an enlightened blog, there are always multiple posts of “It’s going to look awful/ugh why would you do that” on EVERY tattoo post.

I think it looks amazing.