Beauty of overwrought repair

NewImage

Industrial design student Paulo Goldstein's "Repair is Beautiful" project is about fixing boring broken products like lamps, headphones, and chairs with unusual bits of detritus such as string, metal odds-and-sodds, and even bone. The results are provocative, beautiful, and gloriously overwrought. "Repair is Beautiful" (Thanks, Jason Tester!)

13 Responses to “Beauty of overwrought repair”

1. shutz says:

I only came here to say, “Duct Tape”.

That is all.

2. TheOven says:

So, did the bits that stuck out the side of the chair help keep it stable in any way? This seemed more like chair decoration than repair.

3. Ladyfingers says:

Not a patch on There I Fixed It.

4. bolamig says:

Good vice.

5. endrest says:

I bet he’ll have no problem getting those earbuds through airport security… In fact, it reminds me of a guy that makes steampunk-like watches.  Ask him about the TSA and he has nothing good to say.

6. Listener43 says:

I seem to have a different definition of “repair” … oh, and of “beautiful” as well.

7. retrojoe says:

I like the chair as it has an architectural slant to it but, much of it reminds me of steampunk frippery; with the exception that these add-ons serve a purpose as opposed to an assortment of randomly stuck on watch gears. I like that he’s using odd bits to repair broken items but they’re also forced. Go into rural/poor areas anywhere in the world and you’ll see plenty of the same thought process done with a more practical end product. But because it’s not done as “art” it doesn’t earn a blog post.

Grumble, grumble…kids these days.

8. vonbobo says:

Great piece- it reminds of that “area” between identifying a project, and deciding on the final design that I will fabricate.

My project criteria usually include cost, time, function, simplicity, and often repurposing materials. This guy is playing with those wonderful designs that would never make it past all of the normal criteria.

9. Preston Sturges says:

For some reason I am reminded of the Foxfire article about how to make shoes starting without much more than a cowhide.  Now that was impressive.

10. timquinn says:

The ultimate skeptical statement is to be so unimpressed that you don’t even bother to comment. I want you all to work on that. I feel you are not committed to this.

11. OtherMichael says:

“All art is inherently useless.”

Although some art is less useless than others.