They're still figuring out whether it was a well-planed heist or simply an everyday burglar's lucky day.

9 Responses to “$400,000 in diamonds stolen”

1. angstrom says:

If life was like a tv cop show, I would look very closely at that diamond courier to see if he has any outstanding gambling debts. Also, his wife, though kidnapped by the mobsters to make sure he goes through with the scam … She’s actually in on the whole thing.

You are welcome.

2. Draxlith says:

Or perhaps there was not a thief, since they can’t figure out how the supposed thief got into the car? Three blank checks in the floorboard just sounds strange. I am not saying for sure there’s no way it was a theft, but no the first thought that sprung to my mind is all.

“Uh, yes, officer, now that I think about it, my trunk was also full of gold bullion that must have been stolen too!”

• Antinous / Moderator says:

It’s a classic insurance scam.  I lent a car to an EX-friend, who parked it in a restaurant parking lot, reported it stolen, claimed that it had a new laptop (for which he had paid cash), etc. in it.  And then he miraculously found it the next day, stripped of its contents.

3. oasisob1 says:

If someone stole 18 heads from my car I would also report the loss as a bag of diamonds.

4. cjporkchop says:

And here I am, trying not to leave my iPod behind when I exit the car.

5. welcomeabored says:

Did anyone check his phone to see who he called first:  the cops or his insurance agency?

And Rob?  “planned”.

6. Rich Keller says:

Most car break-ins are crimes of opportunity. If someone’s impulsive enough to swipe something from a car, will they have the self-discipline to keep their mouth shut & maintain a low profile if they pick up nearly half a million in diamonds..?

7. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Most people just leave a coffee cup on top of the car, and Mitt Romney left diamonds…  no story here…
    :D