I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

36 Responses to “Guy re-creates a VIA Rail car, in his basement, down to the most minute detail”

1. Ben Ehlers says:

I hate people like this guy because they make me feel so normal and boring.

2. Tim Holt says:

The more I spent time on the Reproduction Prop Forums (therpf.com), the more I begin to really appreciate this kind of thing.  You just know someone’s going to build that Lost In Space vehicle sooner or later…

3. Kenmrph says:

That is just… awesome.  I’ve actually fantasized at length about doing this exact thing. This is the first time I’ve told anyone.

4. Dan Hibiki says:

‘down to the most minute detail’ eh? So how many gallons of urine went in to making this replica?

• nixiebunny says:

He obtained actual VIA train carpet that was pre-urinated on, so he didn’t have to do any work to recreate THAT detail.

5. Al Corrupt says:

Massive props to this guy for his efforts. Looks like our Australian XPT.
    I wonder if he has had to buff off any tags yet?
    An enterprising person could do this in a subway theme and rent it out for graffiti parties and hiphop gigs.

• ocker3 says:

The comfy seats remind me of the old ICE (Inter-City Express) trains they’ve phased out and replaced with modern suburban trains. Sure, they seat more people, but they’re Horrible for a 2-hour ride to outlying population centres.

6. musesum says:

i dunno … this make me feel kinda … uhm … giddy … a happy kinda giddy

7. missamo80 says:

He’s my cousin-in-law :D Way to go Jason!

8. Heartfruit says:

I’m rather afraid my husband might see this article.  It wouldn’t be a VIA train, but I wouldn’t put it past him at all to build something crazy in the basement.

9. BarBarSeven says:

I also like the fact that there is the zinger of him being nice & asking for a VIA car seat when he was like 12 & being denied. Then years later? Dude scored parts for free before the thing was scraped! Awesome!

10. Nadreck says:

There was an episode of “The Avengers” (‘The Gravediggers’) back in the 60s where Steed and Mrs. Peel met a train boffin who’d built a complete railway car in his drawing room.  Nice to see that someone’s actually done it now.

11. dragonfrog says:

That is awesome!  I stand in awe.  He must indeed have a very tolerant wife.

12. You (Boing Boing and the train guy) made me smile despite a difficult Monday morning.
    Thank You!

13. taghag says:

all kinds of awesome!  especially like the photo mural trompe l’oeil faking the next carriage. by the way, is it a first class carriage?  those seats look awfully comfy…

• dragonfrog says:

In the train that crosses Canada from the West coast to Toronto, the economy carriages have seats a bit more luxurious than those look.  Most of the passengers in that train will be sleeping in their seats, so perhaps it makes sense to have more creature comforts.

14. ImmutableMichael says:

If I wanted to see a stationary train underground I’d visit the tube in (insert city name here). *rimshot* Silence

15. ackpht says:

Needs videos of scenery scrolling by playing on big flatscreens outside the windows- you could match the seasons.

16. Rick Adams says:

$10 says this is really just a weird sex thing.

• Jake Rennie says:

There is a famous train sex scene in Risky Business. He’ll probably recruit a vagrant to come sit on the train with him and his wife while they do it.

17. KimberlyClarke says:

If you live anywhere near Lyme Regis, Dorset (UK) you can take a flight above, below and along the Jurassic Coast – and back in time to Pangea – in a rebuilt section of a Boeing 737 – https://www.youtube.com/user/JurassicEarthFest?feature=watch. It has the screens in all the windows, and thge shell moves enough (hydraulics) to really make you think and feel like you are taking off etc – especially when you accidentally hit a pterodactyl…  It’s called Onboard, and it’s installed in the Jubilee Pavilion on Marine Parade at least until the end of March 2013. Hopefully it will also be extended and will still be there on 3-5 May, 2013 for ‘Coastal Treasures’, the 2013 Lyme Regis Fossil Festival http://www.fossilfestival.com

18. Glippiglop says:

Amazing how childhood fantasies can shape the rest of our lives.  And yet for some reason I still haven’t got around to building that working replica of Voltron yet.  I guess I need a more understanding wife and a bigger basement.

19. Halloween_Jack says:

There’s a lot more info at http://www.kingstonsub.com/ including the answer to my immediate question: What kind of basement does this guy have that has room for a full-sized car from any railroad that ever existed? The answer: well, he really only built out a section of one car. (Still an impressive achievement, don’t get me wrong.)

20. Paul Renault says:

4 1/2 years and 2,500 hours?  So, 4 1/2 years plus another 100 days, or 2,500 hours over 4 1/2 years?

I wonder if his calendars are marked off in red, white, and blue days.

21. Jonathan Roberts says:

They have rotating seats like that on Chinese carriages, but when you put them facing each other there’s no leg room at all – the idea is that all the seats get turned around when you reach the terminal, so you’re always facing forward. Is it different with those VIA cars, or did he just move them apart a bit?

• Paul Renault says:

It is different on the VIA cars.  You could turn them around and sleep on ‘em, or play cards with friends.  I kind of remember that there was a small number of tables available in each car that you could install between turned-around seats.

Travelling by train is one of the best ways to see Canada.

• TheOven says:

Which is the deal killer for me on a project like this. He’s taken the worst of the experience and left out the best. I wonder how much time he’s actually spent on trains. I suspect that if he had to commute on one of these for a couple hours a day, he might not have wanted one in his house quite so much.

• cdnrailfan says:

he actually does  travels on the real thing alot,  i sort of know the guy and im a customer of his model train company as well, hes the biggest train nut i know…….

• ocker3 says:

I think you’re missing the point that he’s chosen a car style with quite comfortable seats and reconfigurable seating layouts, key to a good long distance journey experience. Fixed seats with thin cushions are the new norm, and they are Horrible for long distance journies. The phasing out of the old nice cars and replacement with crappy uncomfortable new ones is one reason I gave up my 20-hour weekly commute.

22. euansmith says:

This reminded me off those old drug-heavy Mission Impossible episodes where Phelps and co would shoot up some dictator with hallucinogens and imprison him in a mocked-up environment to get him to spill his deepest secrets. Of course, Barney would have to crawl through some sewers, because that’s what Barney always had to do. Never the Cinnamon. Never Willy. Always Barney.

Spiffing bit of work by this chap. Top hole.

23. TheOven says:

And when he has a party, he puts anyone drunk enough to pass-out with their shoes on, in there. He just need to add some large HD screens outside the windows and something that rocks the train to complete the illusion.