16 Responses to “More on "Escape From Tomorrow," the guerrilla art-house movie shot at Walt Disney World and Disneyland”

1. yeah, and thankfully, copyright holders would never send DMCA requests against blatant fair use cases… oh, wait.

2. agonist says:

It would be cool if Disney went against what everyone expects them to do and gave the film a ‘thumbs up’.

3. Kimmo says:

So, one way to ensure this film isn’t suppressed is for tightwad paupers like me to share a torrent of it…

Couldn’t manage to dig one up yesterday, though : (

4. itsgene says:

“The movie, while careful to leave out certain copyrighted material (like the It’s a Small World song), would seem to test the limits of fair use in copyright law. ”

Ironically, of all the music in the parks, “it’s a small world” is the ONE song that isn’t copyrighted! It was given to “the children of the world” by Disney and UNICEF.

5. otterhead says:

Calling this a “guerrilla movie” is a little silly. They shot this with nice DSLRs and did a very fine job, but every third person at WDW has a camera up to their face constantly, and you can’t throw a rock on YouTube without seeing movies shot all over the parks.

Unless they documented themselves doing something like sneaking backstage, getting off rides in mid-ride, or damaging parts of the park, this seems like fair use and won’t be an issue.

• SotoPlaxe says:

I don’t know what you think guerrilla filmmaking is, but this is exactly the type of project that that term defines.

• otterhead says:

Yes, thank you, I’m aware of Wikipedia.
        The term usually refers to something done covertly, illegally, and without permission — such as filming in public places or sneaking into buildings. My point is that if you’re going to make a ‘guerrilla film’, WDW is probably the easiest place in the world to do so, because everyone’s got a camera and they encourage you to film and photograph while you’re there. You can film your actors right out in the open and nobody will blink an eye. Making it look professionally shot and choreographed — that’s the real trick, and if they do indeed pull that off, it’s what’ll be impressive.

6. Kevin Bosch says:

Would be great to shoot a film adaptation of DOWN AND OUT IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM in this same fashion.

7. Ideal says:

Stanford Copyright & Fair Use Center

8. Cory, will Stanford’s Fair Use Center help to insure narrative/fiction films?  I thought they were focused on documentary films only.

9. pentor says:

I hope they release it via The Pirate Bay before is too late.

10. Boundegar says:

“There’s a possible trademark claim, and I suppose that Disney could conceivable bring suit for violating the park’s terms of use…”

Ok, but isn’t that now a felony?

11. oasisob1 says:

So, is it actually any fun to go to Disney with your family any more, or does it feel like a hollow version of what we enjoyed when we were young?

12. mfeige says:

While the Disney company had grown much larger than Walt could’ve ever imagined this quote from the filmmaker: “I think Walt Disney was a genius. I just wish his vision hadn’t grown into something quite so corporate.” seems misguided at best. Many of Walt’s dreams were corporate in their very nature.

13. I saw this movie already I think. But it wasn’t in black and white. 2009…