Batmobile sold for $4.6 million

24 Responses to “Batmobile sold for $4.6 million”

1. The Joker still got away.

Hello?
    Hello?

Anyone?

2. DamnitDani says:

Yeah! Drive around fighting furniture crime!

3. nixiebunny says:

I was hoping to buy it, so that I could drive it around town with my friends and have a lot of fun, while it got slowly more and more trashed.

It’s really too bad that I don’t have an extra $5 million on me.

4. euansmith says:

I wonder how much an exact replica would have cost him?

• Donald Petersen says:

A company called Fiberglass Freaks makes ‘em, complete with brand-new 350 V8 engines, working flamethrower, rear-view camera, DVD player w/ 7″ screen, bluetooth batphone, and more bat-bells and bat-whistles than you can shake a batstick at.  Officially licensed by DC, built on a Lincoln Town Car chassis.

I think they go for around $100 grand.  “Call for pricing,” they say, but I can’t be bothered.  I know it’s out of my wallet’s reach.

But good for Barris. He deserves every nickel he can get for that thing.

•  Fiberglass Freaks Batmobile replicas are Officially Licensed by DC Comics. They start at $150k. http://www.fiberglassfreaks.com

5. Henry Pootel says:

I can’t remember quite where, but I saw this some time in the late 60′s.  The family was driving across country and it was at a gas station being filled up.  It was trucked around for promos I think.

6. Paul Jenkins says:

There were actually several Batmobiles, According to legend Adam West was an awful driver and thus the car required quite a bit of body work.  Also a version of the Batmobile that would grudge race the Green Hornets cars at drag strips around the country.

• euansmith says:

The TV series Green Hornet’s “Black Beauty” was the most wonderfully brutal and ugly car I think I’ve ever seen.

7. Brainspore says:

Champagne says he’s going to put the car in his living room.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM.

• euansmith says:

Maybe he just thinks he’ll drive the Batmobile home for the bar one night and fail to brake soon enough when entering his carport?

8. pjcamp says:

Doodleydoodleydoodleydoodleydooooo!

Nananananananana
    Nananananananana
    Batmain!

9. sockdoll says:

The Batmobile I saw at a car show in 1983 where George Barris was signing autographs had been flocked so it looked like black velvet.

10. Thorzdad says:

I’m fairly sure this was Barris’ original Batmobile show car. The TV show also had a couple of stunt vehicles for actual driving and stuff. I’m not sure the one that was auctioned off even runs. I watched the auction (ugh!) and could swear that the car was pushed onto/off the auction stage. Most cars are driven to the stage under their own power.

• euansmith says:

They probably couldn’t drive the Batmobile on to the stage because of silly health and safety rules governing the use of Atomic Turbines.

11. Nash Rambler says:

What else could Rick Champagne do but park it in his living room?  Thanks to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (ever the spoilsports), there’s no way he’d be able to get his hands on the sparkling nuclear pile you’d need to recharge that baby.