Just look at him.

Noticed some snipers hanging out on the roof during the inaugural parade. Zoomed in to find him enjoying a banana. (Thanks, Richard!) Discuss

76 Responses to “Just look at this sniper eating a banana on a rooftop during the inauguration.”

1. Spotting bad/crazy guys makes you hungry

• Jake0748 says:

If he did spot a bad/crazy guy he was gonna throw that banana peel on the ground right in front of him.
      Yucks would have ensued all around.

Talk about your non-lethal weapons.

• Brainspore says:

No, he already apprehended the bad guy and forced him to drop the banana. He is now eating the banana, thus disarming him.

2. Hirsty says:

The skin makes a great elbow rest

3. hobomike says:

Good thing inaugurations aren’t like fishing boats…

4. flappy says:

Clearly a tactical banana. The peel can be used as the first line of offense against a perambulating perpetrator.

5. Maybe he had that thing where your muscles twitch, a dangerous ailment for a sniper. Old wives cure is to eat a banana, and he’s doing just that.

6. Bruno Cardoso says:

Can’t see a sniper rifle, though. Can’t see how “secret service on the roof checking stuff out” == “sniper”.

• I agree. I would speculate that these guys are spotters and/or are guarding the rooftop.

• My impression is that the secret service have done the sums and worked out that keeping guns away from the president, as well as installing barriers is the best way to keep POTUS alive.

• Bruno Cardoso says:

Agreed. So, no need to call this two gentlemen snipers.

• Charlie B says:

Your impression is likely wrong.  I used to drag my VT-100 terminal out to the roof of the Academy of Natural Sciences on the Logan Square in Philly in the summertime and work outside where I could smoke cigarettes and enjoy the sunshine.  When the President came to town, large men hung all about with equipment banned me from the rooftops for the entire day, but I saw them setting up sniper rifles longer than my leg at the roofedge.  They made me get away from the window when they saw me looking at them and talking on the phone.

Looks to me like one of these guys is probably a radio officer, equipped with extra comm tackle for city work, and banana man is either a spotter or off-duty.  But I’m just guessing.

I saw even more interesting things when I worked in a building overlooking the airfield where the President’s plane used to land whenever he visited Delaware.

• Jake0748 says:

Can’t see how that matters to the joke Cory was making, and the rest of us were trying to play along with, buzzkill.

• Dave says:

Photo one, not zoomed in, about one man length in front of them, the barrel of a rifle is silhouetted against the sky. These are counter-snipers, looking for snipers or (hopefully not) to react to and find the source of a shot.

•  maybe he is just a really really good sniper.

7. rattypilgrim says:

It seems like a distraction from his duty. What if he had a bag of pop corn in his hand?

• DreamboatSkanky says:

Or what if he had been juggling?  Or had had his hands in a cat’s cradle?  Or a bucket of quick-drying cement?  What if??  Very irresponsible.

• Charlie B says:

Or one of those big pots of glue like the Katzenjammer Kids!

It’s irresponsible of us not to pre-emptively punish anyone that we can imagine might do something unsavory.

• marilove says:

They are up there for hours at a time. I’d imagine his stomach growling and he being hungry would be a far bigger distraction, wouldn’t you? Or do you think snipers are robots who don’t get hungry?

8. Jon Harris says:

That’s a direct line to the President on that Banana Phone!

9. HubrisSonic says:

That’s your Tactical Banana there, those things are lethal. Buddy of mine lost an eye just playing around with one. He wasn’t apeeling after that…

10. M Turk says:

It’s important to be prepared for the possibility of gorilla warfare.

11. crimpers says:

/Gay Agenda 21?

• That_Anonymous_Coward says:

I’ll admit sometimes my agenda does involve handcuffs… but I think beyond that we aren’t on the same path.

12. Michael says:

But where was he storing the banana?

13. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

HOW DARE YOU!
    Your giving aid to terrorists!
    Noe they know they just have to poison the banana’s before big events to render random dudes on a roof incapable of standing there looking like they are doing something important!

for the impaired… yes its humor…

14. Michael Vilain says:

Keep Calm.  And always bring a banana to a party.

15. sam1148 says:

It’s a tactical banana. The peel can thrown ninja like into the path of a suspicious person tripping them up, a non-lethal method and perfectly fine.

16. bzishi says:

Sadly, two minutes later the other gentleman slipped on the peel and fell off the roof. After hitting several flagpoles on the way down and bouncing off an awning, he was trampled to death by a marching band followed by a steamroller.

17. Finnagain says:

You’ve got to wonder just how further advanced their banana slicing technology is though.

18. Preston Sturges says:

Those rooftop guys are around for every event.  They were on the Lincoln memorial for the Glenn Beck rally and there were no weren’t even any elected officials.

The real action is when they spot weld the manholes shut and remove the mailboxes and trashcans on the parade route.   I remember reading an old story about someone sweeping their balcony on inauguration day, and the phone rang, and the police said “Please put the broom down, you are making the snipers nervous and you don’t want to make the snipers nervous.”

19. Renoun says:

“Now that you mention it that is a banana in my pocket.”

20. caseyd says:

drone spotters

21. SedanChair says:

THE PEEL IS DOWN, I REPEAT, THE PEEL IS DOWN

22. peregrinus says:

Did you check out all the spotters?  How awesomely NRA-baiting it would be for POTUS to have ordered the entire security detail to ostentatiously display bananas instead of weapons.

23. Miller… One banana… TWO kills…

24. ludd says:

Yeah, it’s an easy mistake to make at this range.  It is not a banana. That is a .50 cal Plantain. Standard issue.

25. Thorzdad says:

Those guys are stationed up there for hours at a time.  It’s “best practice” to pack snacks.

26. cheshireforhire says:

The banana is the natural prey of the sniper.  You can tell from the photo that he is the alpha of the sniper pack and receives first rights to feed, the others will just have to wait their turn.

Not only is it a good snack, but I would imagine the potassium would be helpful in his line of work.  Last thing a sniper would want are muscle spasms or cramps.

27. Dan Metcalf says:

Sniper + no gun? = MIND BULLETS

28. Tonewah says:

They’re obviously time-travelling nazi’s (note the armbands) come to see how good things turned out, who just happened to bring a snack to eat while watching the future unfold.

29. agonist says:

I was the sniper eating that banana on that rooftop, you insensitive clod! (Sorry, am I mixing memes?)

30. A clarification:  If it’s  Bad Guys or Perps, we call them “Snipers”; if it’s Law Enforcement or the Military, we refer to them as “Sharpshooters.”

31. OtherMichael says:

The Bat-Man (Tony Millionaire and Chip Kidd) has this problem all the time.

32. fenester says:

I hear they are chock full of potussium.

33. CLamb says:

I find it more interesting that they are wearing red armbands.  Reminds me of the Chinese Great Cultural Revolution.

• L_Mariachi says:

That’s likely the “color of the day,” announced to Secret Service & law enforcement the morning of the event so they don’t get mistaken for bad guys setting up rifles on rooftops. Undercover cops frequently do a similar thing (although not with armbands,) wearing a scarf or hat or something of a particular color so they’re recognizable to other cops.

34. Mister44 says:

I think the potassium in bananas are supposed to help you not shake – or steady yourself – when shooting. IIRC. He could have just been hungry and some asshole already ate all the doughnuts.

35. EichaelThe0ne says:

No, Lieutenant. Your men are already dead.