16 Responses to “Little Lamp: an Internet-of-Things light that tells you about your friends' beddie-byes”

1. cellocgw says:

Isn’t this the gadget that premiered at CES or something just a couple weeks ago?  /. and others immediately pointed out what a great remote-spy tool this is, not to mention how easily access to the remote lamps’ status could be cracked.

2. echolocate chocolate says:

Awww, how very charming.

I would be worried about the software/services becoming obsolete or unmaintained, since physical objects tend to last longer than anything in the internet world. What is one more piece of electronic clutter, I suppose?

3. Donald Petersen says:

I love it.  I’m gonna chip in.  If/when I get me a set, I’m immediately gonna hack the little lamps to resemble the locations their corresponding big lamps reside in.  Like Grandma’s house, Bldg 44 at Warner Bros (where I work), my parents’ doublewide, etc.

I won’t be able to resist (that’s why I built my Little Free Library to roughly resemble my house).  But as much as I value my internet privacy, the opt-in nature of this lamp (not so much as a binary I’m-home/I’m-out indicator, which might conceivably be a less-than-safe message to broadcast, but more of a “here I am, all is well, I’m available to gab” indicator sent home from abroad) appeals to me.

Didn’t think I’d find an “internet-of-things” thing that I actually liked so soon.

• echolocate chocolate says:

I was actually surprised by the privacy reaction. It simply never occurred to me that you would use this as a literal “I am home” indicator. I suppose it’s good that people are always thinking about the implications–you know that someone less technically savvy might not consider that.

But then… if you’re going to snoop, why not just stand outside and look at the lights? I mean, this is literally the same information.

• Donald Petersen says:

I like the number of different uses, some of which they show in the video.  Just a handy binary indicator light one can see from across the room that lets one know [event_X] has commenced, be it daughter’s presence in her dorm room, spouse’s journey home from the office, buddy has finally scored the concert tickets, Pope has been elected, child has been born, girlfriend’s angry Dad has arrived on front porch and is about to ascend the stairs… the possibilities are endless!

• robuluz says:

Either that or they are just being dicks. I’m going with dicks.

4. Rhyolite says:

I just watch to see if my friends and family are logged into their IM client.

5. Randy Kiessig says:

This would be a much better idea if it used small windows in the entire house, so as each member of your distant family got home, each window would light up.
    As it’s currently setup, it feels ultimately useless.

6. Anon E Mouse says:

It’s crazy that they want to raise 360 THOUSAND UK pounds and that a pair of lamps cost 85. The video shows the insides are an Arduino plus an LED light bulb.

• gehringer says:

There’s more to selling these then just making them.  You need money to pay people to assemble them or build machines to do it, money for shipping them to people, money for a website or physical store for people to order them…

7. Michael Vilain says:

Palo Alto is home of Internet savvy helicopter parents, who are the target audience for the college visit talk for parents-only titled “Letting go”.  This little gizmo would be perfect for such parents who want to know when Bob or Suzy are up studying.  Kinda creepy if you ask me.

• gehringer says:

They aren’t automatic, though.  The remote light only comes on if *you chose to turn it on*, not automatically any time you’re home..

8. TimRowledge says:

Hah! Interval Research, circa 1996. I thought it had even been published.

9. Nash Rambler says:

Eh, this is a step closer to what I really want: the technological equivalent of that clock the Weasley’s had.  In fact, now that I’m even mentioning it, someone must’ve already come up with it.