The world's thinnest watch

22 Responses to “The world's thinnest watch”

1. dioptase says:

About time!

I’m tired of all the watches the size of bagels. I want a watch that tells time and otherwise stays out of the way.

2. I want it in leather.

3. royaltrux says:

Dear Lord the last thing I want is yet another charger/docking station/ wall wart in my home.

4. nixiebunny says:

The display is sideways.

Is this watch supposed to be used, or is it just a design project?

• royaltrux says:

I looks like it should be a ring.

• Funk Daddy says:

No it is correct.

It is in that direction because the only proper way to reference that watch is to raise your arm upright while saying aloud, “Hmm, wonder what time it is, I think I will just look at my AWESOME WATCH to learn the time”

• hypnosifl says:

Maybe it’s designed to be used by people who don’t normally like to wear watches because they find them uncomfortable, so they haven’t already been trained to look at their watch with some standard gesture. As a non-watch wearer it seems intuitive to me, if I want to look at my wrist I’m naturally going to hold out my arm at something like a 45 degree angle (I bet if you asked most non-watch wearers to look at their wrists they’d do something similar), not stick my elbow out so that my arm is perfectly horizontal, like a 1930s guy in a tux offering his arm to escort a lady.

• tyr says:

It’s not dissimilar to this Diesel watch. Apparently some people like that sort of thing.

• Little Mouse says:

It’d be at a good angle for glancing down whilst typing on an equally futuristic computer keyboard. It’s all part of the machine plan!

5. vonbobo says:

What time is I I S 8?

And that cuff design would drive me crazy… But then again I haven’t worn a watch in 24 years, so I’m not the person to be asking.

6. Joshua Ochs says:

Thinner, because I want a knife’s edge digging into my wrists all the time.

7. jandrese says:

How durable is that?  Wrist watches tend to get banged up quite a bit and ultra-thin curved e-ink displays don’t scream “impact resistant” to me.

• vonbobo says:

The website admits they are still testing it for daily use, and still working on the best materials to do it.

Another problem they are still working on is water proofing.

8. Don’t lose it, or you won’t be able to teleport back to the Liberator.

9. TheOven says:

To read it you have to perform the old Roman Salute. I predict poor sales Israel. Or perhaps you’re meant to wear it the other way around and read it by putting the back of your hand under your chin with your elbow pointing out – like a violin. Both totally natural ways to hold your arms to read a watch.

10. s2redux says:

There’s some Russians 7 posts higher who will make that thing even thinner for ya….

11. teufelsdrochk says:

For me, this was an, “of course!” moment.

Of course! E-ink will replace LCDs.  Provided, of course, that watches aren’t an anachronism by the time the tech gets there.

In other news, Apple has a beautiful new iPod which won’t download music! At last we have a perfect solution to the problem nobody has anymore!

12. NI MEN HAO-DY TRAMPOLINA says:

Want. Also, want the thickest watch. I’d wear them together.