A frozen egg

15 Responses to “A frozen egg”

1. Jules McWyrm says:

This blog repeatedly posts stuff that makes me snicker.

A frozen egg! OMG!!  That’s the sort of thing you’d only see … in the winter time, I guess.

One of my favorites was when somebody posted a craigslist add for fainting goats with a sort of surprised and bemused update with a link to the myotonic goats wiki like they were some exotic secret.

2. curiositykt says:

So I collected eggs this morning at my coop in 3 degree weather, and I’m assuming that if doesn’t crack, it’s not frozen yet? Do they sometimes freeze without cracking?

• Rich Keller says:

I had the refrigerator turned up too high and had a partially frozen egg with an intact shell. It was like the yolk was suspended in an albumen slushy.

• MatthewKrohn says:

I had four frozen eggs yesterday morning (out of five).  Only one was cracked; the other three were like a thick sugary syrup, but ice crystals instead.

Long time, no see.  Funny running into someone I know on BoingBoing comment threads.

• Dan says:

In my experience if the egg is completely frozen it will crack but if its only partially frozen it may survive. The other day I brought in our eggs and some of them cracked when I set them down and other didn’t. I made an omlet and all of the eggs had semi-frozen portions that had to thaw in the pan.

PS. I always wash my egg shells before cooking.

3. Lemoutan says:

But they managed to re-animate the chick from cryogenic preservation?

OK?

4. SumAnon says:

A friend of mine had Leghorn chickens, which have been bred to not sit/guard their eggs much. She had to check regularly in the winter, or run the risk of wasting a lot of eggs.

5. grandmapucker says:

If I get frozen ones that don’t crack, I thaw and eat them. Ones that do crack I thaw and cook and feed back to the chickens. It seems so wrong, but they dig it, and it’s nutritious! (Scramble them so they don’t make the connection that the things that fall out their butts every day is food).

6. TheOven says:

Frozen eggs have a terrible texture if cooked as an egg; boiled, fried, scrambled etc.. They’re suitable for baking though.

7.  I had done this as an experiment a while back. this was the result.