49 Responses to “I am waiting for my cat to evolve”

1. Daen de Leon says:

“I’d completely forgotten ‘Red Dwarf’”?  That’s like saying “I’d completely forgotten to breathe/metabolize/pump blood”.

2. Favorite Cat lines from the first few seasons:

“ATTENTION ALL LADY CATS!”

“This is mine. These are mine. Don’t want that.”

Best episode was when Lister found out Cat religion was loosely based on facts from his own life.

• eldritch says:

“Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      “Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      “Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      “Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      *beat*
      “Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      “Fish.”
      “Today’s fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal.”
      “I will!”

• Tim H says:

The “This is mine” thing made me laugh aloud.

• Felton / Moderator says:

“If you weren’t my friend, I’d steal your shoes.”

• devophill says:

“Too slow, Chicken Marengo!” I say this all the time.

• DevinC says:

I found my way to Red Dwarf through this sketch.  I was channel surfing and there was this guy in a tuxedo doing weird and strange things to his food.  I had no idea what was going on, only that his manic energy was mesmerizing.  I figured that if he had the talent to command my attention without context using only a plate of chicken and spuds, the show deserved further attention.

3. PhosPhorious says:

My cat looks at me like he’s waiting for me to evolve.

4. Missy Pants says:

Oh, it’s cold outside there’s no sign of atmosphere I’m all alone more or less
    Let me fly far away from here, fun fun fun, in the sun sun sun.

I want to lay shipwrecked and comatose drinking fresh mango juice.
    Goldfishes nibbling at my toes, fun fun fun, in the sun sun sun.

5. Jeffrey Bell says:

Fans of Danny John-Joules may be interested in searching out the show “Death in Paradise”.  Our local PBS station has started showing it recently.

He plays a police officer in the Caribbean.

6. Rad Hall says:

I thought Tongue-Tied was the Cat’s coup but his version of things in the Better Than Life book was the bee’s knees.

7. carlogesualdodivenosa says:

Even now, when I’m trying to grab something just out of reach, I find myself humming

“I’m gonna getchoo little fishie… I’m gonna getchoo little fishie…”

8. Jon says:

So I’m guessing then that you may not know that it is back on the air.  The 10th Series just ended in November.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Red_Dwarf_episodes#Red_Dwarf_X_.282012.29

• Ambiguity says:

But it is good?

I really liked the first few seasons, but it seemed like the more money they had/higher the production values, the less good the show was. Early on they had to rely on the writing to make it good. Seems like later on they got lazy…

9. Tim H says:

I’m working my way through the series on Netflix right now, having never watched them consistently as a kid.  I’ve never seen the 1997+ material, and am a little shocked at how different the show feels.  I think it’s the first time that I ever missed having a laugh track.  In the Red Dwarf show I think a laugh track is necessary because they cut it to leave time for a laugh track, it feels wonky without.

Please no spoilers though, 1997+ is virgin territory for me.  So to speak.

• Tomgliv says:

Tim, there was no laugh track on Red Dwarf it was filmed in front of a live audience (the BBC allows you to book free tickets for recordings and the studio was 30 miles from my home, but I never managed to score one).  The later series had higher production values and contained more CGI, so they recorded it without an audience.  The last series was commissioned by another company, so it’s not a BBC production anymore.

10. Preston Sturges says:

I liked the scene where he transported into a shower stall with some guy, looked down and said “Better work on your personality.”

11. BillStewart2012 says:

You know how many cats are polydactyl, with various numbers of extra toes?  That’s because they’re working on opposable thumbs, and once they succeed we’ll be in big, big trouble…

• alissa mower clough says:

I had a polydactyl that used its “extra paw” as a thumb. No lie. It was a cute clam-shell like move.
      He also had a thing about goose liver.

12. itsgene says:

I am so happy to discover that the new continuation of the series is just as good as the original – better, in fact, because they dialed it back to the middle years of the original before it got too avant garde and bizarre.

• Dan Hibiki says:

So many good things in the new series. Like Lister acting as his own father and The call waiting gag… so few series can come back and manage to pick up where they left off.

Also Cat has not aged a bit. it’s eery.

• Daneel says:

Indeed. Felt a bit like series 3 or 4 to me. Of course, they’ll never top Series 2, especially Queeg.

The moral of the story? Appreciate what you’ve got, because basically, I’m fantastic.

13. pjcamp says:

Best scene: sashaying down the corridor in a gold suit with a bottle of perfume in each hand, spraying everything and saying “this is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine . . .”

14. Senor Schaffer says:

I read the novels before the show. I had an Omnibus that had the first two books, the radio script, a scan of the bar napkin they came up with the idea on, and other stuff.  They described Lister as more of a young Rev. Jim. I never accepted the BBC David.

I guess I should give it another go. Either way, those books really shaped me.

15. Wayne Dyer says:

When I was but a junior developer, the managers thought it’d be good to repurpose one of the TVs for some “fun time” and show videos.  A recurring meeting was set up, a large CRT and VCR were appropriated.  The idea was nerd-friendly shows.  Red Dwarf was tried, but the managers thought it edged too close to be “HR compliant”, and I think it was Cat that the guy running the show couldn’t handle.

I regretted this because I KNEW I’d be the only one in the office that knew the lyrics to the theme song.

16. how …could you forget one of the greatest comedies to come out of the UK?

17. smut clyde says:

Why would cats bother to evolve? They have evolved the house-apes and nothing further is needed.

18. dexitroboper says:

Mr Flibble says: “Game over, boys” funniest line in the show.

19. Preston Sturges says:

“IT’S A BANANA”

20. DarthBlingBling says:

He apparently got the role of the Cat after he turned up late for the audition wearing a Zoot suite. He pretty much created the character

21. Tynam says:

Danny John-Jules performing “Tongue-Tied” may simultaneously be the funniest and most gratuitous musical number in the history of television.

22. Jess says:

We’ve just started watching Red Dwarf with the kids, and my son’s face when he figured out The Cat’s origin was just *priceless*. The Cat’s been a favorite of mine forever – so much personality and charisma!

23. Paul Giachetti says:

I’ll just drop my plug off here =) : http://hassleinbooks.com/pages/book_redDwarf.php