Shuttered online game Glitch gets new life in the Creative Commons

11 Responses to “Shuttered online game Glitch gets new life in the Creative Commons”

1. otterhead says:

I love that little pig.

2. SomeDude says:

Looks to me like the book is a limited-run, preorder-only distribution, and — sadly for me — is no longer accepting orders.

3. parfae says:

Maybe it’s just the awful week I’ve been having, or my current shedding of uterine lining, but seeing that freshly nibbled pig makes me want to bawl my eyes out.

I’m gonna go look at the Helikitty gif instead.

4. nice but people can’t even link the images here in this thread because the license is CC-NC-BY-SA. The NC is the important part. Non-commercial use. Boingboing makes money off of ad revenue, thus the images cannot be embedded in the page. Furthermore Debian and Ubuntu cannot distribute games with these assets because they often limit the distribution methods used by Canonical.

NC is well meaning but really is insanely limiting. I wish the authors would realize that the SA clause scares commercial people away enough to make it safe. I dunno appreciate what they are doing but NC license just make unusable floating junk.

Let me be clear, I cannot release an opensource product with this content and expect the users to be able to distribute the assets (important part of FLOSS).

• SomeDude says:

Are you saying that NC goes as far as prohibiting boingboing readers from including those images in their postings?  Or are you saying that (only) boingboing employees can’t post the images?  In either case, can you recommend a link that would clarify/substantiate this?  These interpretations (esp the first) seem overreaching (and in the case of the first, virtually unenforceable)…

5. Andrew Singleton says:

Now we need to get the assets to PMOG/The Neathernet CC’d.

Many many hours were spent leaving things on google, boingboing, and other places.

6. Sam Ley says:

I’m a little sad that Glitch is gone. I played it a fair amount when it first came out and really enjoyed the world. For some reason I didn’t stick with it – it was missing… something… that probably contributed to its overall demise, but it was the first MMOG in a long time that I actually hoped would succeed, it was charming and uncommonly well-intentioned. Glad the cute art will live on.

7. Dave says:

It’s great that the art is open, but why not the code?  Unless they’re hoping to sell it to some other company or restart the company or use it in the backend for something else, I’m not sure why they aren’t releasing the code.  Perhaps they’re saving that until they do a bit of a code review before releasing it. How cool if people could hack it to their own needs!

• Fnordius says:

IIRC they are planning on reselling some of the backend code, as they had worked out some ingenious methods of communicating and pushing assets as well as chat over the net. Glitch was part Java backend and Flash ActionScript frontend, and the latter isn’t really feasible without giving away proprietary parts of the Former that Tiny Speck might be wanting to sell.

Who knows? Just like Stoot’s first game effort gave us Flickr, Glitch might give us a new IM/content delivery platform.