Travel guide to Detroit written by seventh-gen locals: "Belle Isle to 8 Mile"

13 Responses to “Travel guide to Detroit written by seventh-gen locals: "Belle Isle to 8 Mile"”

1. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Today I drove down into the city to visit a friend in the Indian Village residential area.  Detroit has changed.  In some ways it’s worse, of course.  That’s been more than adequately documented.  But it’s still a great American city in many ways and I respect the people who are trying to keep it going.

2. upso says:

Ordered! Thanks Cory!

3. Susan Carroll-Clark says:

I was just in Detroit for the auto show on Friday and Saturday. We stayed in the renovated Westin Book Cadillac downtown and I was definitely encouraged at how much more energy that part of town has now.  The casino nearby, the transformation of a vacant skyscraper or two into residences, lots of new restaurants…It just *feels* better.

4. millie fink says:

Is this any better than white folks going on “ghetto tours”? I hope so.

5. Does it include information on spotting the Insane Clown Posse and other Dark Carnival carnies?

6. medontlivenoprahsworld says:

Ok, my chance to toot Detroit’s horn…

If you can, go to the Detroit/Hamtramck version of Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras. A day long celebration with a Polish viewpoint (Paczki, Polish food, dancing etc.)

In March will be the “Blowout” a three day indoor music festival featuring many bands and venues for one price.

Opening day for the Tigers is very close to being a holiday.

7. ArghMonkey says:

I would love to buy a copy but their cost to ship to Windsor Ontario is $10 … really? $10 to cross the border? really now? (P.S. Detroit is on the other side of the Ambassador Bridge, from Windsor Ontario).

So sick and tired of this sort of thing.

8. Denice Brown says:

Hey, Cory. I know of an excellent Bed And Breakfast in Detroit that is very close to the ‘Under the Poppy’ brothel show. Come and I’ll show you the scene.