40 Responses to “Color film of the Three Stooges from 1938”

1. Y0YO says:

So this is the first color footage ever?

2. I hope that fence is earthed, looking at the way that incandescent globe was hooked up.

3. Daniel Tose says:

Gullible people are gullible. Aside from the color being WAY to good for period technology, and the clip not appearing on their filmography, the guy they have doing larry doesn’t look quite right. Oh yeah, that and the copyright at the end which contains an email address.

4. capnmarrrrk says:

I can’t imagine a world in color back then. It’s blowing my mind… I blame wizards

5. Henry Pootel says:

Plus Curly wasn’t missing his hand

• Henry Pootel says:

The still from the video on this page.  It looks like he’s missing a hand.  As in, “I knew it was fake because Larry wasn’t missing his hand in real life”.

I can’t be the only one who thought that it looked like his hand was missing…

• awjt says:

I think you are, because it’s Larry who looks like he might be missing a hand, and if you look a little bit to the left, you can see it’s attached to his forearm.

6. rattypilgrim says:

Color film was available but when WW2 broke out the chemicals used in producing it were dedicated to the war effort.

• awjt says:

True, but this was the 1930’s, prior to the war.  The real hang-up in the USA in the 1930’s was money.  Technicolor process 4 cameras were big, bulky, rare and expensive to buy or rent then, because they were new technology (even though color had been around for about 50 years at that point.)  And they used 3x more film than black-and-white, of two different types, due to the cmyk process.  Plus all the downstream processing.  So, sure, chemical production and production in general were slower in the 1930’s, but money was in shorter supply and film houses could make back their buck on a B&W film just as well as a color one.  They didn’t view color as something that would generally reap them greater rewards until later on.  It was a slow adoption of color in film, just like a lot of technologies.  Think of high-def TV in the USA.  The tech existed for decades, but wasn’t turned into anything commercial because there was no incentive of reward for a long time.

7. Halloween_Jack says:

They do look a bit different without the sharper detail of the B&W film of the time. Plus, they’re really acting like creeps toward that woman.

8. Matt Fisher says:

This was relatively easy to find.

9. pjcamp says:

Man.

A stooge should never be shirtless.

But if one had to be, thank god it wasn’t one of the other two.

10. Brad Smith says:

To alleviate any lingering doubts, the film clip of The Three Stooges was shot in color in 1938 by my father George Mann.  Up for less than a year on YouTube with over 100,000 hits to generally favorable reviews.

11. to Brad Smith…Thank you very much for sharing this with the rest of us…I just showed it to my 9 year old son and he thought it was great… Thank you again…

12. Gary Zenker says: