Pedal-powered scroll saw

22 Responses to “Pedal-powered scroll saw”

1. Greg Miller says:

I wonder if (with a sufficiently finely-toothed blade for minimal drag) you couldn’t do this with a treadle (like old-school sewing machines).

2. Sean Lally says:

About a mile from my house.  Nifty place.

3. Steve Miller says:

You may also chance upon one of these in operation at Tamarack, along the West Virginia Turnpike. The last time I visited, an artist was scroll-sawing designs in her wooden bookmarks. Couple of ‘em went home with me.

Even if you’re not interested in the saw, I recommend a visit. It’s an impressive and affordable body of work from artists (and artisans) statewide.

4. mindysan33 says:

Loverly!  Asheville has the neatest things.  I love that city. Last time we visited, they actually had a Laurie Anderson exhibit at the downtown art museum.

5. Marky says:

No saw, but I built a small lathe out of a Singer treadle I found in garbage.

6. Steve White says:

Maggie – Welcome to Asheville!  I live very close to the Folk Arts Center – really a cool place.

7. vonbobo says:

Wow… making delicate patterns in wood with a sharp saw blade while peddling your ass off. Nice craftsmanship!

8. bcsizemo says:

I’ve seen a couple of pedal power scroll saws in various antique shops along the Appalachian mountains.  While my wife is searching for her Fiestaware I usually end up around the tools..

I’m honestly surprised I never find old electronics, like test gear stuff.  Sure the old occasional Betamax player or box of random vacuum tubes shows up but I never find scopes or even ham radio stuff..

And if you are a fan of Arts and Crafts/Craftsman style you should really check out the Grove Park Inn, it is drool worthy.

9. Hank Chapot says:

I saw a reciprocating garden hedger at the museum of garden history that took two operators, one did the work on a hand crank. Same feeling that I got from this, they probably put children on those pedals.

10. David says:

The Detroit Historical Museum has one of these in the basement.  There’s a recreation of an old street there, which includes a woodworker’s shop.  I saw one of these in the window.

11. Ryan Callahan says:

My friends dad has an old band saw, that I assume was from a lumber mill. Must have a 60″ fly wheel with a 18″ cutting slot. Small foot pedal to get it going. Once that wheel is spinning you can cut for 10 minutes before it even begins to slow down. He has to keep a sign on it at the shop that its “not to be used” as it has nothing close to an emergency stop is is very not OSHA.