Catalog of Internet sins

28 Responses to “Catalog of Internet sins”

1. Christopher says:

Although it would be preferable to get an objective opinion I’m pretty sure I’m only guilty of nos.1 and 11 on a consistent basis. I used to be guilty of no.12 as well, but gave up because I recognize that sometimes even people who can’t spell can still make valid arguments. Also sometimes the reason for the poor grammar is sometimes the commenter’s first language isn’t English, which doesn’t need to be harped on.

Not that I’m proud of being guilty of only two of the listed sins. In fact I think I may be guilty of no.11 right now.

2. signsofrain says:

Be sure to post when you’re tired, hungry, depressed, paranoid from too much weed etc…

3. vonbobo says:

I had know idea!

4. oldtaku says:

I’d say something about getting really drunk and rageposting, but I think that’s how Gawker gets the articles with the most hits.

5. Just_Ok says:

Anybody else expect the mouseover to work?

6. xzzy says:

Almost guilty of #15, but I ain’t doing it. Nope.

7. mappo says:

By juxtaposing this list with that xkcd comic, you’re committing #3.

8. timquinn says:

Maybe the best thing about these fora is that everybody gets to try out lame arguments and attitudes and dispose of them with embarrassment. It is sharpening our communication skills. pretty sure, yup.

9. Shane Simmons says:

Can I link to this on the next LOL RELIGION post?

10. Nadreck says:

As Miss Information once put it:
    Q – Someone just posted that Star Wars was made by Quentin Tarantino.  What should I do?A – You must correct this erroneous information instantly; especially if you know that it was produced by Woody Allen.  Probably no one else will notice and who knows how many innocents could be mislead by this lie!Q – I just read a long, long thread on a mailing list and find myself in complete agreement on the consensus reached.  How best to signify this?
    A – Remail the entire thread to all participants after appending “Me too!” to the end.

Q – I have a 50 MB powerpoint presentation that I’m not sure is just right.  What’s the best way to get feedback on it?
    A – Email is the application of choice for all interactions on the InterWebs – regardless of length.  Mail it to 100 of your closest colleagues for commentary.  Be sure not to clutter any subsequent revisions with version numbers and remail them all to all thread participants.

• AnthonyC says:

I once made a ppt presentation  - about 20 slides – and was flabbergasted to find it was 131MB. Still no idea why. Saved it as a pdf and it shrank to 3MB. No joke.

11. xian says:

Look at how far we’ve come as an internet species… FIRST! was not even on the list.

12. dmc10 says:

I see no problem with #14  :)

13. Lurking_Grue says:

LAME.

14. eviladrian says:

I come on Boing Boing to read about springs and new developments in spring technology, what does this even have to do with springs, coils or rubber bands?
    (a.k.a. Wired Commenter Syndrome)

15. muddi900 says:

Alternative version of number 6; “Taking things personally because someone dislikes something I like. FUCK YOU STOP DISLIKING THINGS I LIKE!

16. Philboyd Studge says:

Was that sarcasm? I love that sort of thing!

17. onepieceman says:

3,4,8 and 12 aren’t bad are they? What’s wrong with trying to increase the quality of material on the internet (apart from the futility of it)?

18. This list has been very helpful, I am already very skilled at the internetting but even with my vast experience there are a couple really good points on this list that I haven’t really been utilizing to their maximum potential. This should help me kick it up to the next level.