Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

43 Responses to “TV reporter asks videobomber how long she's had an STD”

1. Navin_Johnson says:

Guitar monk..

2. Greg says:

she handled that like a BOSS

3. dawdler says:

That was a little mean.  But also a little funny.

4. LydiRae says:

This is about as smart as trying to do some on-site reporting in the lobby of the Las Vegas Bellagio on a Friday night. You are going to get drunks in your shot, it is inevitable.
    I don’t understand why someone would send a reporter to do an on-location shoot about STD’s anywhere near someplace like this. She should have been reporting about how much beer gets wasted by people vomiting it up into the gutters, because you’re way more likely to see that than see somebody catch an STD.

5. Paul Renault says:

Actually, I liked the “Cat Climbs Reporter on air” video more – see after the end of the video.

6. gluther says:

that’s far better than the sound guy “where do you work so I can come in and tell you how to do your job” response to someone offering ‘advice’.

7. BrotherPower says:

This really undermines the professionalism I have come to expect from local TV news.

8. Navin_Johnson says:

Shenanigans in the most amateur hour set of blocks in the U.S.? Nah…

9. Editz says:

That could have easily turned into a hair pulling slap fight.

10. corydodt says:

Well played, anonymous newslady. I bet she keeps that line queued up at all times and ready to go.

I think she may have forgotten it was a live feed, though.

11. lou novak says:

Maybe that reporter should stay off of Bourbon Street. Hell she should stay the hell away from anywhere. And what’s with the interest in STDs? Projection perhaps.

12. Engineer_ says:

Ooh burn!! (because you know… STDs…)

13. Steve White says:

I think Kathy handle’s it better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wx29sTWpQ

14. Rindan says:

Eh, I like it. The drunk was obnoxious and she was obnoxious back. I would give her a raise. I’ll take a verbal jab over one of those countless shitty and awful closing line cliche that reports always spew. Then again, I am from Boston, so a playful verbal “fuck you and go die you piece of shit” is almost about as offensive as grunting “eh” when someone says “good morning”.

If she loses her job, she should just move up to the Northeast. She can put that video on her resume.

15. Kelly M says:

Um… she’s in New Orleans.  It’s Super Bowl week.  She’s on Bourboun Street.  She, herself, is wearing beads.  WTF did she expect?

16. agonist says:

Props to that reporter for being so quick with such a perfect verbal smack down. Well played.

17. Kerouac says:

My new favorite reporter.

18. C W says:

My guess: While the exact wanderer wasn’t chosen, they already planned to “go viral” and go off on the first drunk to enter their space (which considering the space, they knew they didn’t have to wait long for.)

• peregrinus says:

With you there.

I’d like to see the whole segment from before the cut to the pretty newslady.  She didn’t want to be doing that – producer sent her to broadcast drunk people floating in technicolo(u)r yawns.  She just about says so herself – “… so, you can see what I’ve been having to deal with … dealing with that in my own little way”.  If the cut to live is sudden and jarring, it means the live team spotted a mark coming towards them and they prepped the studio for cut to live.Mild, mild, mild and pre-rehearsed wit from the pretty newslady (I really do think she’s attractive, but that’s another thing).  But, it’s the kind of game you figure out when you’re 13.  She’s annoyed to be broadcasting the ‘dark side’ of the whole thing, rather than the fun.  So out it came.  It all rolled exactly as they knew it would.

19. Stephen Anderson says:

I like turtles.

20. ddh819 says:

she shoulda said “since about two minutes after meeting your dad”

21. Daniel Ewing says: