6 Responses to “Gypsyphonic Mardi Gras Mixtape with bounce versions of New Orleans carnival classics”

1. rewhu says:

Big Freedia? Oh hell yes. My work day just an upgrade.

2. Jack Daniel says:

Thanks Xeni, this is awesome.

3. arteyephoto says:

Xeni, I love the music… but the funny thing was (as I sat on the couch at home) about to click on this and my 9-yr old was sitting beside me and I said, “hey check this out, this music is great…” and then, bouncing along and a fair volume came, “Back the F**” up!” and then I clicked randomly ahead to “Motherf*****!” Just my luck…I should have anticipated it was NSFH, even though it’s great stuff.

• ZikZak says:

In my experience, pretty much everything that isn’t specifically intended for children, a formal discourse, or broadcast includes some amount of “profanity”.  It is the norm for communication in our culture, and you should probably expect it when exposing your kids to culture.  I hope it’s not rude to give parenting advice, but hey, you brought it up :)

More important than sheltering your kid from hearing “bad words” is teaching what are OK and not-OK ways for people to express themselves – regardless of the specific words being used.  Saying “back the fuck up” is way different from saying “fuck you”…and even then, it depends how you say either thing.

4. dejoh says:

I lived there in the 70′s, I’ll stick with that sound, thanks

• Egypt Urnash says:

I grew up there in the 70s and I’m totally down with this version. The city’s music should be a living thing that wanders out into the streets and commands you to dance and have a good time.